CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Cooking for Thanksgiving?Or just eating?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 7:43 pm 
Me and some friends did take out turkey the last TG;Star Market turkey breast w/ all the trimmings.What about yous?

Post subject: Re: Cooking for Thanksgiving?Or just eating?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 9:25 pm 

My auntie always gets me stuck fixing a fruit platter when the fruit is nice and expensive. So this year I told her I want a real job. Whoever has thanksgiving in there home cooks the bird, and to lessin the burden of the hostess, we all sort of pot luck the fixin's.<P>my specialty are mashed potatoes, creamed corn and chocolate, white chocolate, peanutbutter chip cookies. The fattining stuff! Image whats your specialty?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:32 am 

I'm always the cook. I ask guests to bring things to drink, that way I don't have to tote heavy glass bottles from the store as well as all the food. This year I am doing two dinners. A traditonal dinner for the carnivores, including my two cats for whom it's their favorite holiday, and a "trimmings without the turkey" dinner on Saturday for the vegetarians. I guess I'm daring, or overconfident or something, because every meal always is entirely new recipes I've never made before. Want the menus?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:14 am 

While you are having this food discussion, I was thinking, isn't it funny how something so fundamental (i.e. a roast turkey dinner) can be so different across the continents? If you asked me to eat creamed corn - well I can't even imagine what it could be like to look at or to taste! Similarly, mashed potatos rather than roast potatos - it's just WRONG Image! My US and expat friends have tried to explain "biscuits" to me many times and I just don't get it ... a savoury scone that you eat as a side dish? Mad. I am definitely going to have to go back out to America, and THIS time I'm not staying with English people Image<P>I'm sure there are things you think that the Brits are mad to eat ... and I would be interested to know what they are... marmite, I know, is incomprehensible to americans. What else?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:22 am 

i live in st. louis, but i travel to peoria, Ill. for thank giving to be with my parents and family. tg is always at someones house, and we all meet there to eat. one year they decided to go to a restaurant and i just hated it. i missed the relaxation of sitting in front of the tv with my cousins, and watching my dad play cards with my uncles. i'm looking forward to going home this year, and not to a restaurant.<BR>kim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:19 am 

This year I am bringing a pie, which I have purchased through MANNA's (Metropolitan AIDS Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance) "Pie in the Sky" fundraiser. MANNA is an awesome organization that provides meals and nutrition information to people living with HIV/AIDS in the greater Philadelphia area. Here is a link to this cool fundraiser (buy a pie if you're in PA!): <A HREF="http://www.mannapa.org/pie.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mannapa.org/pie.html</A> <P>One of their other major fundraisers is "Shut Up and Dance" which is an annual benefit performance entirely produced, choreopgraphed & performed by dancers from Pennsylvania Ballet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:23 pm 

We spent a whole week with friends from the UK and finally got them to understand what a biscuit was, but giving them some - WHICH THEY LOVED!!<P>A biscuit is a bread thing - like a small round bread about the size of a cupcake. Now, she's going to ask me what a cupcake is. A cupcake is a very small cake that would fit inside a cup. <P>There are soft biscuits (like there are soft breads) and crunchy crusty biscuits, baking powder biscuits, sweetish and sourish ones. It could be white flour, or rye, or whole wheat, yeast or sour dough. Just as many kinds of biscuits as breads. What you call a biscuit we call a cookie. Our Brit friends just loved the chocolate chip cookies.<P>One of my favorite things for Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie. But, But, <B>BUT</B>, it has to be made from fresh pumpkin - not canned. So I always buy a pumpkin, and steam it (slow bake the seeds) and then pulverize it and use that for the pie - much yummier than canned pumpkin.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 13, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:38 pm 

I've used canned and fresh pumpkin for various dishes and didn't notice a great difference. You have to use fresh pumpkin for this stew I made once with chunks of pumpkin and lamb. Very yummy.<P>I will be providing veggies for 30 this year. I'm open to suggestions. No green bean casseroles please.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:48 pm 

Hoxy, please explane the "yorkshire pudding"?<P>In the US, a yorkshire is a dog, and pudding is a dessert with a consistincy of tapioca and comes in chocolate or vanilla. <P>so the concept of yorkshire pudding throws me off!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 1:39 pm 
crandc are you going to make one of those SOY TURKEYS??They think of everything dont they....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:34 pm 

Yorkshire Pudding is a savoury accompaniment to traditional sunday lunch - normally Roast Beef. It is basically a batter misture which is cooked in the oven so that it rises.<P>I presume it is a Yorkshire Pudding because it was first made in the county of Yorkshire.<P>Savoury puddings are quite common in the UK. We have steak and kidney puddings too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:35 am 

Yorkshire pudding is made by combining flour, eggs and milk and a pinch of salt to make a liquid batter. A metal pan with some sort of fat in it (lard, oil or similar) is put in a hot oven until the fat melts and it is very hot. The batter is then added and cooked in the oven until it rises and is crispy. Traditionally eaten with roast beef - although of course you run the risk of getting up from the table and walking sideways into the wall after a good british roast beef dinner Image If you cook sausages in the pan before adding the batter, then that makes the mysterious food known as toad-in-the-hole, eaten with mash and gravy and VERY tasty indeed. As a Yorkshire lass (no, I'm not a dog, I am from the county known as Yorkshire!) I am passionately fond of such food.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:06 am 

The dogs are named after the county! Yorkshire terrier pudding - nasty thought. In Britain, pudding can mean any sort of sweet dish, or as in this case, something savoury but very filling - and I agree with hoxy, it's delicious.<P>I think the British took the idea of eating turkey from the Americans - the traditional English Christmas dish was goose, but that's not often eaten now - I've never even tasted it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:52 am 

Hoxy,<BR>My favorite English foods are your breakfast sausages (much more finely textured than American), clotted cream on scones, Cornish pasties, and lamb with mint sauce. But I have never really understood the appeal of a trifle. <BR>Just yesterday I realized that Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK - Egad! I've got to buy a turkey! The holiday seems early this year and snuck up on me. I am cooking at our house but still don't know who is all coming. All I know is dinner is at 2pm and that's when my husband and I are eating. Image<BR>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:52 am 

I think that the turkey is an American bird. Benjamin Franklin at one point wanted it to be the national symbol rather than the eagle. <P> The domesticated turkey is raised for its meat and is a very stupid animal. However, the wild turkey - which is the one Franklin was familiar with, is a very intelligent creature. <P>The argument was that the eagle also eats carrion, which the turkey does not. But somehow I am glad that the eagle is the national symbol and not the turkey.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next