public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: European Union bans overhead lifting...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 6:01 am 

hmmm - i found this at dance service UK's wonderful site. i guess it was written april 1, or thereabouts - that's the only explanation i can come up with!<P> Image danceservice UK logo<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This time out we report on astonishing new findings by the<BR> European Commission that will affect all dance companies<BR> throughout Europe. - Evil Imp<BR>---------------------------------------------<BR> <B>Swan Lake in a Hard Hat!</B><BR>---------------------------------------------<P> This week in Brussels the European Commission has made legal rulings that<BR> will have a dramatic effect on dancers who work in all member states of the European Union. <P>The legal ruling forms parts of the health and safety at work act which is a legal requirement of all employers, including dance companies,in the UK. <P>It would seem that from the point of view of the EU, dance companies all over Europe have been breaching Health and Safety regulations<BR> in both the performance and creation of their work.<P> The rulings cover two aspects of dance performance, specifically lifting and turning. <P>With regard to lifting the Euro commissioners have deemed that lifting a heavy object above head height, in this case a dancer, is against legislation which forms the basis of all health and safety at work laws in every member state. <P>They have stated that should the object, or the dancer, fall or is dropped then it constitutes an unnecessary risk to that dancer or the person who is lifting. <P>The new legal rulings have stated that lifting a dancer above head height on stage or during the rehearsal period is now against European law unless certain safety guards are in place. <P>Company's wishing to carry out work that involves lifting dancers must secure the dancer being lifted into a safety harness that is secured to the main lighting rig of the theatre to prevent the dancer from falling. <P>Despite the protestations of many company directors and choreographers the union is unrepentant. Hans Mueller, a senior EU<BR> commissioner, said at a press conference, "For too long dancers have been placed in unnecessary danger by choreographers who have little regard for the safety of their dancers. From now on the dancers come first, we are simply looking out for their safety".<P> Herr Mueller did state though that for many of the larger company's there may be a work around to the ruling. <P>After the press conference he told waiting reporters that, ".. If the dancers who are involved in the lifting are both wearing hard hats they will be covered by current EU construction legislation and the new legal rulings will not apply".<P> When we contacted the English National Ballet for a response they were in a state of some panic. Gillian Thompson, administrator for the company, said, "the thought of the dancers wearing a harness with some of their costumes is ludicrous. <P>It looks like to get around the legislation we will be going with the hard hats for the lifting. We have commissioned Jasper Conran to come up with some designs that will fit in with our new production. The audience will hardly notice." <P>Christopher Bruce, director of Rambert, was less forgiving; "This is an outrage", he fumed,, "It's all very well for the big ballet companies to get designer hard hats. We can ill afford such items. This morning I sent out the company administrator to get some yellow builders hats from B&Q. Those will just have to do but mark my words we will not take this lying down". <P>Indeed, but lying down may be the best thing for European dance companies over the coming years. <P> The second legal ruling covers turning on stage, or spinning for that matter. The EU has stated that no more than 5 turns should be carried out in the space of 5 minutes of a performance. <P>This ruling follows research carried out at the Institute of Neurology in Frankfurt by Dr Klauss Stormberger. His research has shown that excessive turning whilst on stage can cause short terms memory loss, nausea and blackouts. <P>The EU has reacted swiftly to these findings and has outlawed the 32 fouttes in Swan Lake unless there is a 5 minute break after every 5 turns. <P>Christine Flousasnt, (23) of Paris Opera Ballet was very upset when we contacted her by telephone. "For many years I have studied for the part in Swan Lake of the Black Swan. Now my dreams are ruined because of these rules, I cannot speak any further…." <P>Many company's anticipate an adverse reaction from audiences. One company manager stated that the 32 turns in Swan lake will now take half and hour to complete and many members<BR> of the audience were already complaining that it takes Swan Lake three and a half hours to run without the EU rulings.<P> Marian de Trouter (36) also of Paris Opera was relieved by the rulings. In a phone interview she said "They should have done it years ago, all you get in ballet is turn, turn and turn again, bravo I say". <P>Indeed, if you would like more information from the EU then visit their site; there is a form you can fill in to vent your opinion on the matter of dancers safety.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>if you would like to see what else this site has to offer - they use frames, so i couldn't link you there, for that article - here is their URL:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.danceservice.co.uk/index2.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danceservice.co.uk/index2.html</A> <P>and here is their newsletter service:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.danceservice.co.uk/news/news.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danceservice.co.uk/news/news.html</A> <P> <P><BR> <P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited August 20, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: European Union bans overhead lifting...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 2:24 pm 

No offense, but this can't be real! Is it for real?<P>pidge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 4:28 pm 

well pidge, you know as much as i do about this, now.....<P>however, maybe this photo will clinch your understanding, as it did for me Image - it's captioned <I>The Royal Ballet during<BR> rehearsals for their new <BR> production. Anthony Dowell <BR> is said to be not Amused <BR> by the new rulings from Europe.</I><BR> <P>sorry pidge! it took me quite a while, too! Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited August 20, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 5:24 am 

thought you might like this thread brought to your attention, stuart? it happened while you were away....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 1:07 pm 

Sorry to say that it is all true - the Kirov had to apply for a special dispensation as a visiting company. In the end a compromise was reached for 'Jewels' - 'Emeralds' and 'Diamonds', deemed to be 'relatively safe', were performed au natural, but for the fast and furious 'Rubies' all the performers had hard hats. Vishneva had managed to come up with a lovely burgundy one to match her outfit. Honestly!<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 29, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 3:37 pm 

I think I hear the trumpets of seven angels. The Revelations must be upon us. What else could possibly explain ballet with no lifting above the head; no more 32 fouettés; only 5 turns every 5 minutes?! The beginning of the end is here. The only words that can truly describe how I feel when I read of this are the last words from one of my favorite movies: The Bridge on the River Kwai. Madness! Madness!!<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 4:22 pm 

Great, Michael; now you have me imagining Alec Guinness in a tutu.<P><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>Online portfolio, now including "This Day in Arts History":<BR><A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 5:36 pm 

Egad! I could never see the late Sir Alec Guinness in a tutu. William Holden however could pull it off. I assume the above story is 100% poppycock!<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:39 am 

nice to hear from you again, mg! Image <P>stuart, could you explain to me the difference between this 'danceservice UK' and the 'london dance network'? are there other such organisations, and do they duplicate each others functions or not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:42 am 

Michael, how about the words in "Apocolypse Now" "The horror! The horror! And Marlon Brando in a tutu.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:44 am 

danceservice UK is the leading UK modern dance website run by John Kilroy, who used to dance with Rambert and the Sue Davies Company and his partner Cath Quinn, who dances currently with Sue Davies.<P>The only link with the LDN site is that John, an Internet whiz, set up the original site and continues to do technical maintainance on the site. It is also not to be confused with Dance Services at The Place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:48 am 

Not such a strange idea, Maggie given that Brando did a tango (of sorts) in 'Last Tango in Paris'. Mind you he has put on a pound or 50 since then. So they may have to let that tutu out a tad.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 30, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 10:41 am 

Stuart, you mean this isn't for real? Well, in that case, you have my vote to move it to Fun.<P>BTW, the new movie Billy Elliot has a boy in a tutu...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:36 pm 

i put it here cause if it was in Fun Stuff it would have given the game away from the start, but now that it's true nature is apparent to all, by all means move it....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2000 4:43 pm 

The horror! The Horror!! That's what I said when I saw Kudelka's Swan Lake!<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next