public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don't miss this chance
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 6:26 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Stuart, are you sporting long white robes and a beard...?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, as always!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 6:33 am 

Salzberg, for someone who lights actual moving dancers, lighting sculptures wouldn't be much of a challenge. I'll send you one to light, if you want, but you'll get bored waiting for it to do something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 6:52 am 

Hmm... is Maggie insinuating she wants Salzberg to light her instead of her sculpture?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 7:10 am 

Maggie, your sculptures (as seen on your web site) are absolutely beautiful. I wish you <I>would</I> send me one!<P>. . .And Azlan, I would happily light either Maggie <I>or</I> her sculptures.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited October 13, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 7:22 am 

Azlan, no,no,no! I'm already en-light-ened. (groan here, and roll eyes) I just mean the sculpture doesn't move. Actually, I don't move either.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited October 13, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 1:02 pm 

Come to think of it - we have all been told what we can expect to be doing in the hot place if we don't behave - but - no one has ever really said what we might expect to do in Heaven. So this thread, you see, is really quite valid. Someone "up there" may be printing it out - and keeping on file for when you arrive - so careful what you wish for folks............<P>As my second choice - I would like to dance Swan Lake. I would love to whip out those 32 fouettes' with a smile on my face. I have seen them done well, but I have never seen them done with a smile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 1:54 pm 

Maybe a grimace passing for a smile...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 4:04 pm 

ah basheva! if *I* did swan lake in heaven, there wouldn't BE any 32 fouettés...not because i couldn't do them -WITH a smile- but rather as an artistic choice! Image<P>and to get back to some more direct answers to your Q - i have been lured by Don Q pas de deux since i was a child...love that red tutu, and the hops on pointe, and the fan, and the male/female interaction, and the music, and the building excitement....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 6:24 am 

Grace - good choice!! But - but - but - you left out the key component. With whom would you build this excitement? Who would the lucky partner be? (waiting with bated, not baited, breath, to see her answer)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 3:13 am 

I'd dance Giselle with Anthony Dowell, when he was about 30. This is so unlikely that I find it difficult to imagine even in Heaven. Nureyev, my first thought, would be too scary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 4:02 am 

Spring Waters Pas de Deux, with Irek Mukhamedov

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 5:57 am 

Helen - good choice!! That is what Heaven is all about - imagining the best!! I am curious as to why you would find Nureyev scary? I mean in heaven - you would be great enough to dance with him - of course, he did have a temper........so you are probably right after all. I did get to see Anthony Dowell dance Giselle here in San Diego with Deborah Hadley - it was at an outdoor theater - and exquisite. Good Choice, Helen!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 5:58 am 

Elmo - hello - another great choice !!- lots of terrific lifts in that pas de deux. I can see heaven is going to be a lot more interesting than floating around on clouds and listening to harps all day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 9:10 pm 

Basheva - yes, it's Nureyev's temper I would find too scary, and that feeling that genius is very unpredictable. He was famously nasty in rehearsals, even to Fonteyn. I don't think I'd cope as well as she did. Of course, maybe in Heaven he's all sweetness and light. Or maybe we wouldn't need rehearsals, but would just materialise on the heavenly stage. No, it's no good, I just can't imagine it. I'll keep with Anthony, I think.<P>This is a digression, but actually I watched Fonteyn and Nureyev rehearse the La Sylphide pas de deux once, and he wasn't nasty at all. He was absolutely charming, and they giggled a great deal. She was absolutely lovely too, of course, until the photographers started clicking, when she got quite upset and said she found the noise very distracting, and couldn't go on until they stopped. She was perfectly polite about it. They stopped! Of course, the fact that photographers were present might be the reason Nureyev was so nice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:38 am 

Well, Helen - I can't resist telling this little story - re photographers. I arrived one day at a college dance class. I had a very long day ahead of me of classes and rehearsals. It was all I could think about that day. A photographer showed up and he insisted on photographing me (I was lead dancer), but I really had no time and just wanted him to leave me alone. I kept telling him to go and photograph the other dancers. Finally, I just plunked down on the floor and began putting on my shoes, and ignored him - that's all I wanted to think about and do - get ready for that grueling day. Well, he continued to take pictures. <P>Several weeks later - as I walked into the studio I was greeted by dozens of classmates telling me that my picture was THE CENTERFOLD IN THE COLLEGE YEARBOOK!!!! I couldn't believe it - but there it was - me, sitting on the floor putting on my shoes - a huge frown on my face - totally absorbed in my feet and shoes. Served me right - except now, I can in all honesty say - I was a centerfold.<P>What a treat that must have been, Helen, to have seen that rehearsal with Fonteyn and Nureyev - how I adored them - what joy they gave us all who were fortunate to have seen that glorious partnership. <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited October 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next