public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Don't miss this chance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 7:55 am 

ok - you wake up and find out your dead. Thats the bad news. The good news is you went to heaven. (against all predictions and odds, you made it to heaven). And, the good Lord wants to grant you your finest dance fantasy.<P>What would you dance?<P>With whom, if anyone, would you dance it?<P>Why that choice?<P>I know what I would like to dance, with whom and why................. But - I would like to hear your dance fantasy...........

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Don't miss this chance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:43 am 

Well this is real fantasy, because fantasy element No.1 would be that I was a dancer!<P>But I think it would have to be as a dancer in Ballett Frankfurt. I suspect that this is arguably the most exciting place for a dancer that has ever existed. Why?<P>Firstly that you are working with one of the most creative and varied choreographers of today. But compared with gifted luminaries of the past (Balanchine et al), you also get to participate in a new system for creating dance 'Improvisation Technologies'. Finally compared with previous innovators such as Graham you actually get to actively take part in the creation of the work and you get a named acknowledgement in the programme as a co-creator. <P>So, taking part in the creation of Forsythe's 'Enemy in the Figure' with Sylvie Guillem would do nicely.<P>Sounds great, but could I finish my MA first, please?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 10:29 am 

Ok - I guess I should reply to my own fantasy. <P>I would dance Juliet in MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet. My partner would be a young Rudolph Nureyev - or - Kevin MacKenzie.<P>Why? cause then I could dance in my nightie - and since this is MY fantasy - I WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!!! My feet wouldn't hurt, I would never get tired.<P>I know this is not as well thought out as Stewart's - but then I am just a hopeless romantic - - the nightie would be white by the way ..................and we would never get to the tomb scene...........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 2:25 pm 

Erm, would we be dancing these roles in our present incarnations....?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 2:38 pm 

After much deliberation, (about .0000000001 of a second) I've decided to spend the rest of eternity dancing Irving Berlin’s “Cheek to Cheek” inside a musical snow globe with ballerina siren extraordinare...drumroll ...Kimberly Glasco!<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited October 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:55 am 

Hmmmmm..I have so many....well here's one....<BR>Balanchines Valse Fantasie (no particular version) with Gelsey Kirkland, Elizabeth Loscavio, Joanna Berman and Shannon Lilly. More to come (if I may?) :-) <P>David

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:00 am 

Oh David - you may !! you may!! Good choice!! I saw Gelsey twice in person - once doing La Sylphide. What a truly extraordinary ballerina - so fragile a treasure is a lyrical dancer, as she was. I don't think Americans truly appreciated the depth and rarity of her gift. That her career was blighted, to me, was a real tragedy. <P>But, since this is heaven - and your choice of fantasy - you get to dance with her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 2:04 pm 

The lead in David Bintley's "Arthur"...<P><BR> Image <p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 4:20 pm 

Wow! I’ve never seen that particular move in ballet until now! Triple wow! Can I change my fantasy? Of course, I have and always will remain faithful to but one ballerina: Kimberly Glasco! I love that move Camelot!<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 8:56 pm 

Ha! I thought you might change your mind, Goldbarth! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 12:10 am 

Image <P>FASE - four movements to the music of Steve Reich<BR>Anne Teresa DE KEERSMAEKER, Michèle Anne DE MEY<P><BR>To counter-balance one of grace's many visions of Hell (she's obviously done a lot of preparatory work - very wise), my second choice for Heaven would be Anna Teresa de Keersmaeker. 'Fase' would do very nicely and one could alternate the two roles in this 60 minute duet, for variety. de Keersmaeker still enjoys performing it after nearly 20 years so it would keep me going for quite a while.<P>It would also give me a chance to try to convince grace of the merits of at least some of the belgian choreographer's work.<P>Michael, just so that you can put a name to a face, the vision in blue is the sultry Laeticia Muller from Birmingham Royal Ballet.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 6:05 pm 

Entranced by her beauty, my team of bloodhounds searched the web for more photos of Leticia Muller. Much to my sadness, we could not sniff out any more photos of this beautiful creature. I have full confidence in criticaldance to find me more. I must see more of Leticia Muller. Her beauty alone makes life worth living! Beauty such as hers is proof that there is a God somewhere up in Heaven!!<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 11:22 pm 

Image <P>Leticia Müller in BRB's 'Carmina Burana'<P><BR>As this is Heaven, your wish is my command, Michael.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 4:52 am 

Michael, Kimberly will be jealous with the fickle attitude you are displaying here.<BR>Stuart, are you sporting long white robes and a beard...?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 5:00 am 

I would guess that long robes, white or otherwise, would be hard to dance in.<P>My fantasy? Well, I'm not a dancer and have no wish to be one.<P>I think I'd like to light some of Maggie's sculptures, though.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next