public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance Metaphors!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:30 am 

We've all heard them:<BR>*your hips are headlights you must keep shining straight on the road;<BR>*float through the air like the swan you'll be one day;<BR>*imagine your foot is a pencil on the floor;<BR>*pretend that if you stay on the floor more than a second, your foot will get burned and fall off;<BR>*it's like an invisible hand is promenading you around and it's just in front of you so you have to stretch to reach it...<P>anyone have a favorite dance class correction/stylistic metaphor they'd love to share?<P>happy summer!<BR>--ari

Post subject: Re: Dance Metaphors!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:33 am 

What a great idea Ari!<P>In tendu with a piqué: make ink dots on the floor. (that came from a child who was my student.)<P>When taking a step out - walking across the stage: "possess the floor".<P>"Look over your hand as if you can see forever".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:50 am 

to remember to hold your head up- pretend you are wearing a diamond necklace, and hold your head up to show off your necklace. another one is: don't be like an ostrich, with your head stuck in the ground, keep your head up. (my teacher has a very thick spanish accent, and when he said this, it sounded like: don't be an ashtray, hold your head up. and i kept thinking, don't be an ashtray?? so i said, what does an ashtray have to do with ballet, then he said, not an ashtray, you know, a big chicken, and he flapped his arms around like a chicken, and i said you mean an ostrich? and he said yes an ashtray! oh, well, such is life.)<BR>kim <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:31 pm 

In 5th arm position (or 3rd russian), pretend that there are strings on your wrists pulling your hand upwards, and strings are pulling your foot up and out in arabesque.<BR>-And don't forget: your 3rd (or 5th) arms are in the wrong position (too far behind you), if you can't see your mirrors (the insides of your hands)- adjust your mirrors! Image<BR>-And for first plies for the little kids: show me your diamonds! <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:07 am 

My name is fairly common and therefore I can use it and remain for the most part anonymous online. After this though, if any of my students read this board they will know who I am.<P><BR>Instead of just corrections / metaphors, how about threats?<P>My instant cure for "flicking" wrists: (you know, the gymnastics-born circling and flinging outward of hands in chassés and pretty much any other big arm movements)<P>"If I see one more 'flick' in this room I am taping popsicle sticks to each and every one of your hands so your wrists no longer bend!"<P><BR>I'm not cruel, really Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 1:37 pm 

Sarah, my teacher always threatened to amputate our arms. After that, popsickle sticks seem quite humane! Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:48 pm 

In attitude, you should always be able to balance a tea cup on your heel! Image--twinkletoes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:20 pm 

Twinkle Toes - that's a very good one. My teacher used to say a teacup on your heel and a soup plate on your knee.<P>Would be fun to try that wouldn't it? Just make sure the neither the tea nor the soup is hot.<P>Well, not too cold either!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 1:58 am 

Port de bras - When in first position, you should feel as though you are holding a beach ball in front of your body.(oh the eyes do roll when I remind my pre-teens of this one). <BR>Or, in second position arms, "if I were to place a drop of water on your shoulder, would it get caught in your elbow or slowly trickle off the tips of your fingers?"<P>Those are a couple. I can't think right now. I've been up too long.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:42 am 

Dulcinea - I have used the "beach ball" one to very good effect here - San Diego is surrounded by beaches so the children really connect to that visualization.<P>I LOVE the water drip one you gave - if I ever come out of retirement and teach again (which I doubt) I will use that.<P>One of my teachers said "all the pulse points - palm,inner wrist, inner elbow, underarm - have to face the same direction. That always worked for me.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]