public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS......................
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 6:09 am 

The Ten Commandments of a Dancer<P>I Thou shalt not blame thy shoes.<P>II Thou shalt honor thy artistic director.<P>III Thou shalt not take the name of thy teacher in vain.<P>IV Thou shalt not covet another dancer's body.<P>V Thou shalt not hold a pastry before thee.<P>VI Thou shalt not swear at a scale while weighing thyself.<P>VII Thou shalt not raise thy voice in complaint.<P>VIII Thou shalt not throw stones at the mirror.<P>IX Thou shalt not rest more than 5 minutes between dance class and rehearsal.<P>X Thou shalt never even consider retirement.<P>Did I miss any? There is no reason to stop at ten.............

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS......................
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 7:15 am 

You missed the most important one:<P>THOU SHALT NOT STAND IN FRONT OF THE BOOMS!<P>Jeff, who has often violated #4, but not in the way you meant.<BR><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>Online portfolio, now including "This Day in Arts History":<BR><A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 5:47 pm 

Feel I have to add on to Jeff's in a similar way:<P>Thou shalt not use the Booms as a Barre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 7:49 pm 

and here is yet another:<P>Thou shalt not use the barre as a crutch.<P><BR>(Yes, Grace I did make these up as we were driving along to lunch one day - but then again "I was inspired") LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 11:14 pm 

when you say 'we', basheva, does your non-dance husband get into the spirit of this, too (if you don't mmind my asking)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 6:53 am 

Though my engineer husband loves the ballet - and he is often intersted in what I write (except my poetry - which I love to do) he in no way takes part in the writing, nor does he edit or comment on my writing in any way. <P>He just drives the car - while I write away in my notebook - or on any handy piece of paper. That's probably because he is doing equations in his head (YUK). <P>So I do tendus - he calculates - and somehow it has all worked out for 38 years.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 2:01 am 

Thou shalt not smile at a fellow dancer's bad review.<P>Thou shalt always smile sweetly at important critics.<P>Thou shalt always put your own Company first, unless that guest appearance offers good money/ a good part/ a chance to dance with ***/ higher profile/ gets you out of Chicago in January/ preety much anything else.<P>Thou shalt always preserve the integrity of the choreographer's steps, unless you find them tricky/ you can think of a better way to do it/ they don't present your best profile/ your partner's bad breathe precludes certain phrases/ when the choreographer was around he never gave you the roles you deserved.<P>Thou shalt always accept dinner invitations from ballet loving investment bankers. But run a credit rating check first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 6:00 am 

Stuart! You made me laugh! Again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:59 am 

<BR>"I" shalt always accept dinner invitations from ballet loving investment bankers - provided he provideth his mastercard number - or his stock portfolio - whichever comes out best. <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 3:34 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Thou shalt always preserve the integrity of the choreographer's steps, unless....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:23 pm 

..........unless you want to get fired.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:36 am 

Thou shalt NEVER wear legwarmers during class without the express permission of the teacher.<P>Thou shalt not raise thy hip during the adagio in an attempt to also raise thy leg.<P>Thou shalt not sickle or pronate.<P>Thou shalt not use the piano as a barre.<P>Thou shalt not look out the window during exercises en face de la barre.<P>Thou shalt daily recite the Apostles' Creed, as written on the site of <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_99/jul99/st_antoinette.htm" TARGET=_blank>Dame Blandine</A>.<P>I'm back, everyone!<P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<BR><A HREF="http://www.freetown.com/Uptown/HaightAshbury/1055/ballet.html" TARGET=_blank>Balletica</A><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Intuviel (edited December 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:30 am 

Intuviel----welcome back!! We missed you and your insightful and thoughtful contributions!!...where have you been...held captive in ballet class? Teehee.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:10 pm 

I was actually in Europe for a very long time, and then when I came back, I was so caught up in school & ballet that I had no time to check my email, much less post anywhere. My ballet school is in turmoil right now because our Nutcracker might not happen...but all that is for a different forum Image. <P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<BR><A HREF="http://www.freetown.com/Uptown/HaightAshbury/1055/ballet.html" TARGET=_blank>Balletica</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:24 pm 

Welcome back, Intuviel. We've missed you. Yes, we do want to hear about your adventures both abroad and at home. What's this about the Nutcracker?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next