public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New ballet website - Fun, Fun, Fun
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 2:47 am 

Here is the link to the website of the most extraordinary ballet company in the world - no contest. Well, do you know anyone else who performs on top of an Antonov AN2 bi-plane?<P>I still sometimes wonder whether it is an elaborate spoof, but I don't think it can be. See what you think.<P><BR>Stuart adds: Calamity! The site is no longer available. Now no one will believe that it ever existed. <P> <A HREF="http://www.flying-ballet.com/frame.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.flying-ballet.com/frame.htm</A> <P> Image <P>What I want to know is why isn't she on pointe?<P><BR>What a relief! It turns out that the site is being updated for the 2001 season. Here is anarticle about the Company for the time being.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.itsrussian.com/media/feisty.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.itsrussian.com/media/feisty.htm</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2000 5:58 am 

Is it just me or are these manipulated images not as wonderful as they might be? The dappling that he has inserted seems to break up the line of the dancers and mess up the nudes further on. <P>I particularly like the one 'Intermission', but I would have renamed it, 'Get the Plumber in'. Although the corp girls are waiting very patiently, it is clear that they are up to their ankles in water, presumably from a serious pipe break somewhere.<P>Nice web-site, shame about the piccies.<P> <A HREF="http://www.goinggallery.com/fineart/ballet/ballet_series.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.goinggallery.com/fineart/ballet/ballet_series.html</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 1:12 am 

Image <P><BR>Blandine's Wonderful World of Ballet has moved its location to:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.blandine.org.uk/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.blandine.org.uk/</A> <P>The old URL is not working now, so bookmark the new site if you feel you may need an old fashioned ballet fix. <P>And I see that they have got the instant review generator working on the front page. Here are some examples:<P>'The arresting Rudolf Steiner University Dance Performer's Club 'Violent Domination' forces the audience to re-consider international musical logic, but then we have always known that.'<P>'The hideously banal tap improvisation evening class performance group 'Libel Era' prettifies yet makes frightening assumptions about Jeremy Bentham's self-induced paranoia, an experience I wouldn't recommend.'<P>'The effervescent New Hampshire ballet company 'Pointe Disaster' pokes fun at Melanie Klein's cultural Philistinism, but propriety forbids me to explain how they did it.'<P>It all seems perfectly reasonable to me.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 11:10 am 

This is tu-tu much!!! I love it!!!<P>Where did you dig up that photo of Blandine? I swear, I've seen that woman at stalls in Covent Garden!<P>- Aurora<P>

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 3:11 pm 

O.K. Seriously. The on-line ballet class is worthy of attention. Such excellent technical suggestions. I found myself studiously applying the suggestions, even though I'm long retired. They are quite helpful. There is, unfortunately, a window behind my computer, so the webcams may have had difficulty capturing my scintillating performance. Eat your heart out! And do click on the instant reviews. They might become applicable in the proper situation.<BR>Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 5:09 pm 

thanks maggie, i'll remember that next time i have to write a review and find myself at a loss for words.....i wonder what my editor will think, though...not to mention the publishing house's legal department...do you think i'll have my job for long? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 4:46 am 

Sure, Grace, you'll keep your job. Those reviews are so wordily confusing that no one can understand them. If they can't understand them, they'll think you know more than they do, and they wouldn't want anyone to think they were ignorant!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2000 9:18 am 

Oh, you mean reviews are not meant to be confusing? I have read more than a fair share where I felt I went to a different show than the reviewer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 4:29 am 

We've had quite a few new people join us recently, so I thought it might be a good idea to reopen this thread featuring the wonderful world of Blandine, as everyone should try it at least once.<P>It's still my favourite.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:25 am 

Nine months have passed since we last publicised this delicious site. So the holidat period seemed like a good time to dig it out again.<P>The writer who has never to my knowledge emerged from behind the nom-de-plume clearly has a detailed and encycopaedic knowledge of ballet and dance, which is one of the reasons why it is so successful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 6:19 am 

Stuart! I'm so glad you pulled this up again. It's one of my favorite sites! The ballet class should be in studio. So full of wonderful exercises.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 6:45 am 

uh - thanks Maggie......argh...LOL<P>I love the automatic corrections...makes the teacher's job so much easier. Why didn't I think of that during all those years of teaching? How much easier my life would have been.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2