public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New ballet website - Fun, Fun, Fun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 1999 11:46 am 

Joy of joys - here is a new website devoted to the wonders of traditional ballet, with tongue firmly in cheek.<P>I have to say that it is one of the funniest websites I have ever seen on any theme, with lovely graphics, a helpful Links section with lots of suggestions for Christmas pressies and much much more. Enjoy:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.blandine.org.uk/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.blandine.org.uk/</A> <P>Note: The URL has changed recently and this is the new one.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New ballet website - Fun, Fun, Fun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 1999 8:57 pm 

Absolutely too much. I've got to link to it. <P>I'm considering a subscription to Blandine.com's Ballet Nanny. It's such a useful service, at a bargain price.<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited August 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 1999 8:31 am 

Some of the stuff is simply hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2000 9:35 am 

This has got to be one of the silliest books ever published, with dogs, cats and mice in tutus illustrating ballet positions. I'm serious.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.teleport.com/~writers/CHILDPIX/bunnybuy.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.teleport.com/~writers/CHILDPIX/bunnybuy.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2000 7:30 pm 

Stuart, where do you dig up this stuff?!! This is too funny. But you know what? I had to resist the temptation to order Betty Bunny's Ballet Class CD-ROM...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2000 9:44 am 

Here is another delightful site. I'm sure that like me you will be amazed at the craftsmanship and artistry of these exquisite figurines. I suppose that there are some killjoys who will say that they are sentimental and kitsch. Let them, while you and I continue to enjoy these little treasures - don't forget to click on the small images and see them in their full glory.<P>I'm so excited, I'm looking out for the postman everyday, just waiting for my parcel to arrive.<BR> <A HREF="http://giftsonline.net/little.html" TARGET=_blank>http://giftsonline.net/little.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2000 6:14 pm 

Once again Stuart has salvaged another lost weekend and given us a sense of direction and purpose in our lives.<P>God bless you again, sir.<P>For those who may find such deeply touching and aesthetic renderings to be so much tweet treackle, I am tempted to inculcate the words of Father Vicky, ballet spiritual advisor of our dear Dame Blanchine, in reiterating his sagacious advice:<P>"Pink is the only acceptable colour for ballet. Acquamarine has a tendency to make one sickle, whereas pink keeps the spine upright and poised. <BR>Have you thought of buying some gracious pink teaching shoes with the little heels for evening wear? <P>I am pleased that you take such care over your appearance, and for such good reasons. To avoid that "contemporary" look permanently, remember the five S's of good ballet behaviour in public: <P>Sew pointe shoes <BR>Shave armpits <BR>Shun woolly hats <BR>Sit on the edge of your chair <BR>Say "ciao bella" a lot <P>Father Vicky <BR>Church of St Léon, Léonid & Léonie"<P>I hope that Father Vicky's gem of inspiration bears out the truth of what you have so graciously conveyed to us today. Perhaps one could pass along this truism to those in need of receiving it. You know who I mean.<P>As always, Ciao bella,<P>Michael of Bay Dance<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2000 11:33 am 

Michelle du BayDanse, thank you so much for sharing with us those inspiring words by Father Vicky. They brought tears to my eyes... from laughing too hard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 4:37 pm 

I'm so pleased with my lovely ballet dancer figurines that I've been eagerly looking round for a new delight for my collection. And I've found it! "Music Box Dancer" is a beautiful little ballerina dressed in pink ruffles, and standing on a matching ruffled stage-like platform. It's not only beautiful, but it plays tunes! You'll see that the advertising photo is of a very high standard, clearly showing that one of her arms is longer than the other. Well! Are you perfect? <P>They have a customised service, where you send a photo of your favourite ballerina in a particular role and there is also a choice of music. I'm thinking of ordering one of Sylvie Guillem in 'Hermann Schmerman', the one where she has a transparent gauze top and a catchy tune by John Cage or perhaps Little Richard. <P>Who would you choose?<P>Stuart adds: Sadly this beautiful site is no longer with us. Could it be that a capricious public was not ready for high art at affordable prices?<BR> <A HREF="http://www.doll-babies.com/8dollsmusicboxdancer.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.doll-babies.com/8dollsmusicboxdancer.htm</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 7:13 pm 

This discussion is hysterical. I'm relating to what you're all saying. I have been going "buggy eyed" for the past few days looking at "dance costume" catalogs, to select for some upcoming performances at the dance school where I teach. To put it diplomatically, the range of "aesthetic" taste in these catalogs is extremely wide. Some of the costumes are quite nice, some of these costumes are truly stomach churning. They really must be seen to be believed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2000 5:46 am 

Trina, I entreat you to follow the instructions of the Blessed Father Vicky, reported so reverently by Michael above. Ignore his advice at your peril, particularly regarding acquamarine! Are any of these luverly catalogues on-line?<BR> <BR>The links in this thread are the result of many hours of research by the wonderful Blandine, whose website (link at the top of the thread) remains a beacon for cynical b******ds everywhere. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 01-15-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2000 12:15 pm 

Stuart, acquamarine would be "lovely". As far as colors in these costume catalogs, the predominant favorites seem to be chartreuse, neon pink and fluorescent green. And that's the "higher end" stuff. Was it Mark Twain who said "never overestimate the taste of the American public." Some of these catalogs look live "Victoria's Secret", but worn by 10 year olds. Truly appalling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2000 11:30 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>acquamarine ... chartreuse, neon pink and fluorescent green<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Egads! Would a dancer want to be seen in those colors?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2000 7:07 pm 

Only Mark Morris' dancers or the Ballet Trockadero de Monte Carlo.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 01-17-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2000 12:00 pm 

As is well known, it has always been my aim to bring graphics and craftwork of high artistic value to the attention of readers of this Board. So, it is with great delight that I can give an unequivocal recommendation for the website of the museum devoted to that great American artist, Stowitts. <P>This link takes you to a wonderful exhibition of his works devoted to Nijinski. Sadly there are those who say that the works are kitsch or even that they are like a technicolour nightmare version of the portfolio of Tom of Finland (big, butch blokes revealingly attired). Pay no attention, Mr Stowitts deserves to be seen by dance lovers everywhere. In much the way that we watch and enjoy the films of Ed Wood Jnr. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.stowitts.org/html/exhibition_ballet.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stowitts.org/html/exhibition_ballet.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 01-23-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next