public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Things that are Gone From Our Lives
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 2:23 pm 

How many of these things that are no longer part of our lives do you remember:<P>Candy cigarettes<P>Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.<P>Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.<P>Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes<P>Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum<P>Home milk delivery in glass bottles, with Cardboard stoppers. Delivered by horse and wagon.<P>Ice delivery by horse and wagon for the ice box.<P>Party lines for the telephone.<P>Newsreels before the movie.<P>P. F. Flyers<P>Telephone numbers with a word prefix ... (Drexel-5505)<P>Peashooters.<P>Howdy Doody<P>45 RPM Records<P>Green Stamps<P>Hi-fi's<P>Metal ice cube trays--with levers (I still have two of these - work just fine)<P>Mimeograph paper<P>Blue flash Bulbs<P>roller skate keys<P>Cork pop guns<P>Drive ins<P>Studebakers<P>Wash tub wringers<P>The Fuller Brush man<P>Tinkertoys (I always wanted one, but my mother said girls shouldn't play with these - ack)<P>The Erector Set<P>The Fort Apache Play set<P>Lincoln Logs<P>15 cent McDonald hamburgers<P>5 cent packs of baseball cards...with that awful pink slab of<BR> bubblegum<P>Penny candy<P>35 cent a gallon gasoline (I remember it at 22 cents a gallon)<P>What do you remember that is gone with the wind?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Things that are Gone From Our Lives
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 10:45 pm 

This will vary from country to country, won't it? Here in England you can still have home delivery of milk in glass bottles, but not with cardboard tops. I remember those - they had a round bit in the middle that you could pop out. If you put two together you could put strands of wool through the hole, wind it thickly round the edges, tie it in the middle, cut the edge between the two discs, fluff it out and you had a woolly pom-pom. Simple childhood pleasures!<P>I also remember (just) milk being delivered to the rural area where my grandmother lived in churns (by horse and cart, naturally) - the milk was ladled out into metal jugs that were left on the doorstep.<P>I had Tinkertoy and I was a girl! Actually it probably belonged to my brother, but I certainly played with it.<P>Bus conductors, and proper bus tickets.<P>Cigarette cards.<P>Spangles ( a sweet, or candy as you Americans would say).<P>Hatpins (my mother's - I'm not that old)<P>Corsets (Ditto) (Or possibly my grandmother's)<P>Shopping baskets.<P>Two lovely ballet magazines. Dance and Dancers and Ballet Today. We still have The Dancing Times.<P>[This message has been edited by HelenB (edited May 28, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by HelenB (edited May 28, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 5:23 am 

Elevator person - stayed on the elevator and ran it and called out the numbers of the floors.<P>Greeters at the doors of dept. stores.<P>I don't really remember the street lights going from gas to electric, but the adults were still talking about it and wondering what happened to the gas lamp lighter-man who came by every night to light the street gas lamps.<P>Coal going down chutes into the basements for the heaters.<P>When I started to dance pointe shoes were $5.00. Slippers $2.50. Ballet class $2.00.<P>Well, Helen, when I wear a straw summer sunshade hat, I still put in a hatpin to keep it from blowing off. If I ever lose it, I probably won't be able to find a replacement.<P>Going shopping in downtown Philadelphia meant hat, gloves and a dress. Ditto for going to work - we were told we had to arrive in hat, gloves, dress and heels. I worked in a university as an administrative assistant.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:28 pm 

In offices:<P>The entire Keypunching Dept.<BR> -all those keypunch cards<P>An entire large temperature controlled room to house the computer. Computer itself took up most of the room and white-shirted horn-rimmed 30-ish men would furtively scamper in and out of the room, while the rest of us looked on marveling at modern technology on display (through the windows) right before our eyes.<P>Transistor radios and Brownie cameras - I still have both of mine.<P>In Irish dancing: the black Oxford shoes you'd take to the shoe repairman (does he exist anymore?). He'd build up the heels and tips with pieces of glued-on leather, then hammer hundreds of tiny nails into the built-up area. You knew you were ready for a new pair when the nails wore through to the inside of your shoes!<P>Also in Irish dance: normal ringlets!<P>Wax paper bags<P>The Produce Man who came once a week (on Fridays)to the neighborhood.<P>The Ice Cream Man!<P>You mentioned the key. My favorite activity: Skating with my metal roller skates.I'd glide for hours pretending I was Peggy Fleming.<P>Baseball cards on the spokes of my bike to make that cool fluttering sound when I rode.<P>Mr. Machine: "He is real, He is real, and for you he is ideal, and his name is....Mr. Machine". I had that jingle memorized. I really wanted one.<P>Betsy McCall doll - I still have mine.<P>Those little cardboard gold-lined disposable ash trays that, when turned upside down, made fancy tables for Betsy McCall and Ginny dolls.<P>Go-go boots.<P>As a family, we'd spend Friday and Saturday nights "Sing(ing) Along With Mitch". Remember the full page album jackets with all the words? Several copies for each record so more than one member of the family could read at the same time? That, and "Hello, mudda....hello, fadda..." What was his name - Alan....?<P>Having to wear a hat in church. Black veils in winter, white in summer.<P>I cringe at this one, told to me by my older sister: In the shoe store, the gadget where you could put your foot up against a black window and get to see your own skeleton (Xrays- who knew they were dangerous?)<P>When oleo first came out.<P>The first supermarket.<P>The first TV dinners. Weren't they Swanson?<P>Geez, I'm old!<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by JM (edited May 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:44 pm 

I learned to type on a Royal manual typewriter.<P>Kewpy Dolls - I still have one<P>Raggedy Ann and Andy - I make them<P>The ice cream man stills comes by in my neighborhood.<P>The first TV we had was huge with only a 6 inch screen and thousands (seemed like it) tubes.<P>Ditto machines.<P>hand levered adding machines<P>an ice cream cone was 5 cents<P>milk had cream at the top<P>the fish market had real live fish in tubs - that the owner would net one for my mother and kill it on the spot.<P>chickens came with feathers - and all the other stuff attached - ick<P>and no, I didn't live in the country - I lived in the middle of Philadelphia.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:46 pm 

OK these aren't really gone but for the kids of this generation they are.<P>records my kids call them big CD's don't even ask them what a 8 track is.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:13 pm 

Well, this one was old even to me as a kid but for awhile we rented an old Victorian house. Up in the attic was a Victrola. My sister and I used to love cranking it up and playing 78's, I think, on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:44 pm 

I never used a crank one, JM - but I do remember 78's.<P>And I still have my baby brownie camera too. I wonder if film is still available in that size.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 12:30 am 

This is a fun topic! Basheva, you need to come visit me. We have oversized tinkertoys that werer used as props! The circles are around 18 inches in diameter and the "rods" were 2 inchs in diameter. I would let you play with them..lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 1:46 am 

trolley bus...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 2:43 am 

78s lasted 3 minutes per side, if I remember rightly. I had lots of ballet music on 78s when I was a child. The whole of Swan Lake is a lot of records! I used to dance to them endlessly. When I was 12 I considered my Odette was rather good!!!!! - and as for my Giselle!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 4:50 am 

Pas - I would love that tinkertoy!! <P>Pmeja - we called those trackless trolleys in Philadelphia.<P>Helen - once as a little girl, the needle broke on our victrola, and I put my finger nail in a groove on the record (I shudder to think about it now) and I could hear the music as the record turned!<P>I think a Swan Lake would probably take - what - about three 78's - both sides? And they were so fragile - they could shatter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 8:31 am 

English ones:<P>Jamboree bags of penny sweets<P>Sherbet dabs<P>Cindy Dolls<P>Princess Ballet Annual<P>Jackie (female teen magazine)<P>Being able to go to the park with my friends and mum not worrying.<P>My maternal grandparent's loo in the garden. It was secluded, so you could actually sit and contemplate the flowers with the door open...<P>My paternal grandparent's Victorian loo, the seat of which was a wooden bench with a large circular hole carved in the centre.<P>The persistence with which my grandparents used po's (chamber pots).<P>While living with my grandparents (at age 6) for a few months, being walked to the public baths (as in baths, not as in swimming pool), where we all had a hot bath at least once a week, in the absence of one at the grandparent's abode.<P>Monty Python first time round<P>White lace gloves and boaters in the summer when in school uniform (Convent)<P>Baggy and coarse weave serge culottes for sport at school (Convent)<P>Having to use a fountain pen at school (Convent)<P>Nuns dressing like nuns (Convent)<P>Having to fight off the boys at school (state school)<P>Being ridiculed at school for my posh accent (state school)<P>Being taught strict table manners, such as not speaking during the soup course and sweet course, holding cutlery correctly and eating everything even if you loathed it (Convent)<P>Having to polish our desks at school (Convent)<P>Learning, temporarily, to be like my peers at state school, most of whom ate like pigs and held their cutlery like pencils.<P>Barbie when she had an unpleasant and snooty expression, pierced ears, a bubble cut or wigs, and designer clothes (all of which I still own in pristine condition)<P>Sainsbury's when you went in and queued at each counter for your cheese, ham etc to be cut for you. It took ages.<P>Snowballs (advocaat and lemonade)<P>Patchouli oil as perfume<P>Loons (wide legged trousers in any colour you care to mention)<P>Biba tops (drawstring neck and arm T's with a bottom like a man's shirt)<P>Woolworths before it got posh<P>Ditto Brownie camera<P>The electricity meter in my maternal grandmother's house: you had to top it up with sixpences when the lights went out.<P>The mangle that my paternal grandmother used to wring the wet out of hand-washed clothes (what washing machine?)<P>my grandfather rolling his own cigarettes<P>Actually having to go to the cinema to see a film, as videos hadn't been invented<P>being filmed by our father in colour, but silent movies and the fuss required to view them later (projector, spools, screen)<P>huge spool tape machines<P>

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 10:27 am 

Woolworth's is gone - I believe from the entire US - certainly from this area - all closed up.<P>We still have snow balls - but in S.California they tend to be called shaved ice.<P>I just got back from the library and though a lot of my work entails using the computerized catalogue system, and it is quick and convenient (and online so I can look for books from home), I still very much miss the card catalogue we used to have.<P>The wonderful smell of the wooden drawers - how they rolled out smoothly on rollers. And being able to browse through the cards, looking for one book, and finding so many other intriguing titles.<P>But amazingly enough, a great deal of the work at the library is still very much "hands on" and labor intensive. It takes about ten steps to add a book to the collection, all of which are hand done, until the very last act of entering it on the computer into the catalogue.<P>There are quite a number of people - of all ages - who will not use the computer catalogue at all - and the cards are gone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 1:02 pm 

Oooh, I thought I was the only one who has such an attachment to card catalogues! There's something so satisfying in thumbing through the cards. Our library still uses them, but I fear not for long.<P>I wonder if we'll be fondly remembering books, the feeling of turning a page, in the not too distant future.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]