CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Spring!!
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 4:51 am 

Katheryn - that was so beautiful a description of a storm.....<P>We don't get many of those in San Diego. In fact when we have thunder or lightning the local TV news goes out and films it - LOL. And then we watch it on TV. And people rush out to see the rain , children go out to play in it...silly huh?<P>But, I can supply you with miles and miles of beach...beach of every kind...grass, sand, rocks, cliffs. And when the tide goes out we walk around inspecting the tide pools. Not allowed to disturb anything - but its wonderful to look at the sea life that has been trapped in the tide pools in the rocks.<P>We only average about 9 inches of rain a year. San Diego gets most of its water from the snows in the Sierra Nevada mountains to the north. But the city does not have a dry look - in fact it is quite lush. The plants and trees, like citrus and eucalyptus are used to not having too much water. <P>The desert to the east of us - about 100 miles away - is also in full bloom. It, too, is carpeted with flowers. Nature makes do with whatever is at hand.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 10:19 am 

...And let me add that I would swop my sunny Italian seaside town near Rome for gloomy, rainy, grimy, fantastic old London tomorrow, given half a chance, and a similarly inclined husband...!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:08 pm 

Cats and dogs is not strong enough to describe the london weather today- just a glimmer of some dry weather may give me hope.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:19 pm 

Uh - it was getting beautiful here - green shoots, bud on trees, sun, warm. Was. Now it is... ah, yes - snowing. The day before yesterday was lovely, yesterday was oddly half-and-half - today is profoundly yucky. Snow, little drops hanging and freezing on trees, low clouds, and cold air. Hmph, and I thought it was time for sandals. <P>You may see for yourself here: <A HREF="http://www.ktuu.com/community/alaskacam.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ktuu.com/community/alaskacam.htm</A> <P>That's 4th Avenue in downtown Anchorage, Alaska. Welcome to my world.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:49 pm 

Priscilla - I have not been to Anchorage - but I have been to Alaska - it is a very beautiful state.<P>Once I was driving through Wyoming in July and we got caught in a white-out blizzard. Same thing on Mt. Ranier in July - the snow banks were over 20 feet high. We could hear the river running under the snow, but we couldn't see it. <P>We don't even own boots, folks, it was a rough vacation - LOL<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 02, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 1:55 pm 

Some people here don't consider Anchorage to be Alaska - they talk about seeing "the REAL Alaska", so I guess you did. Glad you made it up to visit us, Basheva!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 9:58 pm 

I love rain and clouds and storms. I grew up in southeast Washington St: a little-known desert that only gets 6 inches of rain a year. It had its beautiful moments, but the hot sun made me sick. Now I'm very glad to be in a wetter, cooler place!<P>Basheva, I spent a month last summer (may to june) living in west Tijuana with a Mexican family. (I worked in a hospital and at an orphanage/day care -- and taught ballet to barefoot children!) At the end of the trip we spent three days in a nice house right on the cliff of the ocean in Encinitas. It was an amazing shock to the senses, but with a little adjustment, I thought it marvelous! Except when we went into the sea, we were told to watch out for sting rays, which made me rather nervous. I stamped and stamped my feet, hoping to scare them all away. We were also right up the beach from where there are houses tumbling over the cliff -- quite a sight for my landlocked eyes. Image

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 10:49 pm 

Hmm, I would like to trade with you Red Shoes...Today the wetter here in the Netherlands is a bit better, it doesn´t rain.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 9:01 am 

This isn't Fun Stuff anymore!! It's May 3 and those drops of water freezing on trees from yesterday are now buried under INCHES AND INCHES OF SNOW. Baffling. If I had my ftp program running I'd send pictures.<BR>

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 11:08 am 

Ho Hum - another beautiful day in paradise......<P>There is, however, a mockingbird I could well do without. He tunes up at about 11 p.m. and is in full vibrato superioso bel canto fortissimo by 1 a.m. and continues the uproar until dawn. <P>This performance takes place nightly from April until September. He is protecting his territory, which begins in a tree right outside my bedroom window. Now I know how that title of that book "To Kill a Mockingbird" was inspired.<P>The cat has no problem, however, she sleeps right through it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 5:25 pm 

HelenB---you live in the north of England?...Was "BIlly Elliot' filmed there, or merely appeared to be filmed there? I LOVED that movie!!! Especially Julie Walters as the ballet teacher...marvelous!! At last, a ballet teacher with some human characteristics,(!!!) rather than the usual, sterotypical "bunhead" image promulgated by Hollywood!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 10:26 pm 

trina, I live in the north-west of England, near Liverpool. Billy Elliot was set in the north-east, near Durham, which is very different. There isn't any mining near me. Although England is a small place, it varies hugely from region to region. I had great difficulty in understanding the accents in Billy Elliot - mind you, I often have difficulty understanding the Liverpool accent. I don't actually know where Billy Elliot was filmed, but it was meant to be the Durham area, and Jamie Bell really comes from there. I loved it too - I cried a lot!<P>To get back to Spring, I forgot to mention blue forget-me-nots, grape hyacinths, yellow cowslips, pink cherry blossom and white pear blossom which at the moment is falling from the trees in my garden like snow. And talking of snow, I am envious of those of you who have it. I love snow, and we rarely get enough of it in England.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 12:22 pm 

I have returned home this evening after a evening out at a restaurant by the River Thames at Kingston and have sat outside and sipped Chardonnay whilst watching the boats zip up and down the Thames.<P>It has been a beautiful night and a beautiful 3 or 4 days of sunshine, warmth - Spring, even Summer has most definitely been in the air in the UK and I wish it would last through til September.<P>However, reality beckons - and the UK will return to it's usual Spring weather by tomorrow, or so the BBC weather forecasters predict, cooler air, thunderstorms et al - oh well we Brits can but dream - and what would we have to discuss if we did have a good summer!<p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited May 13, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 1:57 pm 

Joanne! you've just made me terribly homesick: I'm from Weybridge, and Kingston was one of my stomping grounds - great shops!<P>Still, it's getting warmer every day here in Italy, so mustn't grumble, and it looks like we have the suave but sly Silvio Berlusconi as our new Presidente del Consiglio. Ah well.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 2:23 pm 

It is a small world isn't it Red Shoes - I know Weybridge quite well I have a friend who works there.<P>Kingston still has good shops - I have to ration my visits - it is all too tempting. <P>They are doing big developments by the riverside - building sought after apartments, more shops, bar, cafes and restaurants and a theatre!! Kingston will be the place to come ina couple of years time - especially if we get more weather like had last weekend - beautiful!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next