public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Happy Spring!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 2:34 pm 

This has nothing to with dance....but HAPPY SPRING...everyone!! It's just gorgeous here in Seattle....trees blooming, no-coat weather...and bright sunshine!! YYEEEhaaaaa!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Happy Spring!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 2:36 pm 

Trina - that's wonderful - sounds like an ordinary day in San Diego...ho hum...LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:17 pm 

It is the pits in the Crescent City. It has been grey and damp and cold. Everyone here has been truly crushed by the way their energy bills have skyrocketed due both to the coldest winter in recorded U.S. history and to the utility company's greed. On one particular dance class, those of us who arrived early began comparing our bills, and we were actually crying tears of silliness and frustration. (My last bill was $900 -- I was in shock.) And to make matters worse,we were still cold! The houses here are not insulated and have no basements. <P>Shortly after that last bill, I moved. I was rather thrilled by my gas fireplaces. Then, one night, just before bed, my CO detector went off. The fireplaces were subsequently turned off for good. Not usually a big deal, except it just won't warm up. Early last January, I read in a CNN report that most of the country could expect an unusually cold winter through, at least, March! The article went on to say that we have returned to the winters of the 1970s and can expect more of the same for the next several years (and more of the same inflated energy bills). <P>I have noticed in watching the weather reports all winter that Washington state (the Pacific Northwest, really) seems to be very stable -- no extremes, either way). Lucky you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:21 pm 

Yes, unbelievably, though, we are in pre-drought conditions. Very dry, not enough rain this winter. Very strange. Luckily, we dont' need air conditioning in the summer, so I think we'll be ok, energy wise, at home anway...only thing I'm worried about is water for our plants...we want to do sunflowers this summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:57 pm 

Trina, I hope you don't have raccoons to contend with. They tried to climb up my sunflowers and broke them. Horrid creatures.<BR>I adore sunflowers, and love that there are so many varieties.<P>How can I make this relate to dance? How about "Dances With Raccoons"?<P>O.k. I just found a site, and no, it's not what you think!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ohwejagehka.com/raccoondance.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ohwejagehka.com/raccoondance.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited March 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 9:57 pm 

Yes, it's wonderful that Spring is here. But can someone tell our weather the News - we have snow and bitterly cold winds today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:11 pm 

Where ARE you guys? Here in New York City we've just had a nor'easter - driving rains and high winds and chilly temps. Floods everywhere. I'm glad I don't live near the ocean. I had to go out, and umbrellas were useless. The wind howled so much my cats were scared. If this keeps up March will go OUT like a lion! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:23 pm 

Well, I know that Trina is in Seattle, Basheva in San Diego, Stuart in London, Maggie in Colorado, and Christina in New Orleans (by her profile). I'm in the SF Bay Area.<P>And, yes, the weather has been great here too except that sometimes it gets totally dark in the middle of the day for no reason at all...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:34 am 

Well, it's absolutely <I>frigid</I> here in Sarasota; just yesterday, I had to put on a sweater.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:06 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>And, yes, the weather has been great here too except that sometimes it gets totally dark in the middle of the day for no reason at all...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't worry, Azlan. It's just a sign foretelling that the End of the World is nigh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:39 am 

Grrrrr unbelievable... You guys don't realise how happy you are!!!<P>It SNOWED here yesterday, and it rains all the time, and its ice-cold....<P>Happy spring everyone... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 6:40 am 

Stuart, you might be on to something. In their scheme to soften the blow to the public, California state officials are calling the phenomenon a "rolling blackout," but there are those who believe that California is being punished because the heavens are angry at our professional ballet schools for turning down students and Hollywood for turning away ugly people.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:22 am 

Now, look folks, San Diego isn't perfect - once in a while we have a cloud. Just a little white fluffy thingie, but a cloud nevertheless.<P>We don't have much in the way of bugs either - I remember from a couple of visits to Florida that the bugs coming down the street looked like buses. <P>And we don't have mosquitoes either, ho hum. <P>Well, this is fun but surf's up - gotta go and do my beach thing.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:32 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>the heavens are angry at.... Hollywood for turning away ugly people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And i thought it was just because they turn out such bad films.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:44 am 

Image <P>These flowers bloomed in about 24 hrs in my window which is amazing thing to have happen in Vancouver where the weather is usually a lot like the Netherlands--rain, rain and more rain. I know for those of you in California and other warm locales this isn't very exciting, but I'm thinking I should send a note to the Catholic church about this.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next