public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fashion World Inspired by Ballet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:44 am 

More on this intriguing subject:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Chanel Showcases Winter Clothes</B><P>Suzy Patterson, AP Fashion Writer<P>The good, wearable styles from Mei Xiao Zhou's first show for Guy Laroche bodes well for this house that may have found a solution to a merry-go-round of designers going in and out the door.<P>Zhou, who is ethnic Chinese and was born in the Netherlands, has danced ballet in New York, studied fashion in Paris and worked with Thierry Mugler.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010315/wl/france_fashion_3.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:17 pm 

I once danced at a fashion show. It was a huge event - a couple thousand people there and I and a male partner were the "entertainment".<P>The dance was choreographed for both the stage but also for the walkway ramp. If you think it is easy to dance on a walkway, try it...the audience was dark and we couldn't see the edges of the walkway as it was black too. We had counted every step and just prayed as we danced that every step was the same size as when we counted it. Those ramps aren't that wide. <P>No, we didn't fall off....but it was a scary thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:43 pm 

All this "high fashion" talk reminds me of a dancewear fashion in London some years ago. It was to wear Marks & Spencer woolen undershirts. Now understand that these were very feminine garments: they were light-weight and airily, prettily knit, had ribbon decorations, and you could get them in either a sleeveless or a sleeved version. Of course the proper 'trick' was to have the tattiest possible looking leg warmers - and those woolen socks with the toe and heel cut out (M&S made great wool socks too). But you had to be very, very careful when washing those tops: they had an appalling tendency to shrink and leave your midriff bare. Now THAT would be a fashion statement. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 11:47 am 

THe bottemless dance bag? Ah! I see you also haveone of those! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 11:51 am 

Athena - when I "officially" retired I emptied my dance bag. You wouldn't believe all of the treasures I found!!<P>But now that I am back to going to ballet class - well, I have the pleasure of filling it up again, and again, and again.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 2:57 pm 

I cleaned out mine theother day and I found<BR>1 tube of chapstick<BR>1 pair of extreamly worn tap shoes<BR>1 pair of jazz shoes tht are about a half size too big<BR>1 pair of clean socks<BR>2 pairs of not so clean socks<BR>1 pencil<BR>2 magic rub earasers<BR>1 mini sketch pad<BR>1 box of *cough* femine protection<BR>1 longsleeved t-shirt<BR>1 hair clip that I've been looking for for a year<BR>1 spiral braclet<BR>2 c.d. cases (Jekle and hyde, and Cats)<BR>and finally <BR>6 rings<P>After that my dance bag looked pretty clean...for about two days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 6:14 am 

This one is a little tangential. It's from an article about a Versace auction:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The sketches include designs for the Richard Strauss opera ''Salome,'' presented in Milan in 1987, and designs for Twyla Tharp's ballet ``How Near Heaven,'' performed at the Kennedy Center in Washington in 1995.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010327/en/art-versace_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 6:16 am 

And a comment about Björk's dress at the Oscars:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Björk's rendition was overshadowed by her unforgettable dress, a piece that looked as though she had a head-on collision with a swan, capped by the swan head boa around her neck. Beneath the feathers, the Icelandic pop star wore a white mesh ballet skirt and a transparent, diamond-studded body stocking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ws/20010326/en/dylan_tan_dun_win_musical_oscars_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:09 pm 

An article about Saint Laurent:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>St. Laurent's Fashions in Fine Form</B><P>SUZY PATTERSON, AP<P>... Things only got better as they got dressier. Saint Laurent has toned it down since his spectacular days of the ballet Russe styles, operatic dresses, the daring embroidered see-through Moroccan outfits of the '70s.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010711/en/france_fashion_2.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:41 am 

And more:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Eastern Flair Hits French Couture</B><P>SUZY PATTERSON, AP<P>...<P>Not to be outdone, Christian Lacroix had his own picturesque ideas of luxury. His lineup included ballerinas in elaborate lace and sequin tutus - beautiful to look at but difficult to dance in - plus tights with big velvet polka dots.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010712/en/france_fashion_3.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:00 am 

I am waiting for ripped tights to become the fashion statement - that's when I will really become a fashion plate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:12 am 

Basheva: ripped tights will become *the* fashion accessory of 2001... just as soon as you give up waiting and buy all new ones.<P>It's sort of like waiting and waiting for the price of gasoline to go down... only to eventually fill your tank and watch the prices drop the next day.<P>My father always said "I'll sell my stocks today so the rest of the world can enjoy a huge increase in their holdings tomorrow."<P>So... maybe if you buy new tights now... the rest of us can start wearing our old ripped ones with pride. Or am I dreaming?<p>[This message has been edited by *Sarah* (edited July 13, 2001).]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:18 am 

Sarah - LOL!<P>This is a true story.....I was in the dressing room of the studio one day and a new adult student came in. She had a bag with her with a brand new leotard, tights and leg warmers. Brand new - tags still on them.<P>She then sat down and proceeded to rip them in various places. I couldn't believe my eyes - that's expensive stuff!! So I couldn't resist and I asked her "what are you doing that for?" <P>She told me "I don't want anyone to know that I am a new ballet student, so I am ripping this stuff up, so I will look like everyone else."<P>ACK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:17 pm 
For some reason the 1st page isnt coming through......but has anyone thought that the 1950s clothes seemed greatly influenced by the dance world?<BR> It seemed that Audrey Hepburn helped promote that "ballerina"look...the CAPRI pants,that almost looked like tights,the little ballet slipper shoes-and those crimoline dresses that resembled Russian tutus(esp the prom dresses back then).<BR> Its funny;I remember ripping/cutting my Tshirts at the arms and along the waistline LONG before FLASHDANCE.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:51 am 

IntroText:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Designer Yves Saint Laurent Retires<BR> <BR>PAMELA SAMPSON, Associated Press Writer<P>He also turned out costumes for ballet, theater and film... <P>Saint Laurent drew on a wide variety of artistic and historical influences. His spectacular peasant-chic ``Ballets Russes'' collection dazzled Paris, as did his mini-dress printed in bright squares that evoked Piet Mondrian's geometric works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020107/en/yves_saint_laurent_3.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next