public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Dancers Wanted! for a MA student choreographic piece
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:46 am 

Hello everyone!!

I am Sabrina, the MA Physical Theatre student of Royal Holloway, University of London. I desperately need dancers for my choreographic project---I am going to make a dance for my MA choreography class. It will be a ten-minute piece and presented on 3rd of May at Royal Holloway. It's a class presentation with external examiners coming to mark, and not really a formal performance.

Thus I would like to ask for volunteer dancers who are interested in my choreography. I have only two requirements for you:

(both males and females are welcomed)

1. ideally have dance experiences. If no, it's fine but please ensure you are able to move flexibly.
2. willing to make close physical contact with other dancers and being open-minded

Actually for now I haven't really got a fixed idea of what I I will definitely do. But I have a general idea that I might be interested in exploring men and women, especially in the event of love affair happening in the boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife relations. It's just the inspiration I got recently from a Korean TV series and the movie "Closer". And the performative form for this contect which I personally prefer is contact improvisation or something based on it. But as I said, what above are not fixed things at all. The process of making dance is always a collaborative one; each participant can raise his/her ideas to share with one another and we will engage in trying lots of possibilities. So the theme and the form are always adjustable. It's never that I am in the position of a choreographer therefore I ask my peroformers to do something according to what I like. Although I am a trained dancer of ballet and modern dance for over 10 years, I don't think I am qualified to give something really deep or knowledgeable to you. I would like to learn from you and hopefully vice versa. Anyway I believe it will definitely be a precious experience of making performance with YOU!

Besides, one thing I feel a bit sorry is I am not a native speaker of English. I am from Taiwan. I am afraid that sometimes we may have some language problems because my English is not so good....... Sorry about that and hope you don't mind.......But I can ensure that I am able to share my eastern/Chinese thinking and performance experiences with you! :)

As for my personal choreographic habit, I am not so interested in the purely abstract movements which carry no meanings or affections. I always like to do theme-based things where an ideology, story, or simply an emotion is able to be expressed clearly through movements. That's probably why I love DV8's works so much. I think my choreographic inclination is similar to that of Lloyd Newson.

I hope what above already provide you with a general idea about my personal background and my project. If you have any questions, feel free to contact with me. My mobile phone number is 07862723252. Alternatively you can reach me via sabrina19hsu@yahoho.com. I sincerely hope you will be interested in my project and join my project.

Best Wishes,
Sabrina

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]