public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Giselle first-timer....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:54 am 

I'm all in favour of light-hearted reports, but this is laddish tripe ....

Liddle at large

Listen up, Giselle . . .By someone called Liddle fron The Times

I have promised 27 previous girlfriends that I would take them to the ballet. At least 27, actually, maybe more. And I have never previously succumbed, in the end. What happened on each occasion was something like this: I ask the girl what she would like to do some evening and she replies, oh, do you know, I’d really love to go the ballet.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Giselle first-timer....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:23 am 

I think I would use a stronger word than tripe to describe this article. A particularly depressing read as I can remember a time when The Times employed decent writers.

The bloke's a total hypocrite if he can write this:

Quote:
Anyway, let me tell you about Giselle. Giselle is a comely peasant girl who has fallen in love with the Count Albrecht. However, she doesn’t know it’s the Count Albrecht because, in order to conceal his high birth, Albrecht has told her he, too, is a peasant. Call me cynical, but I’m not sure that’s how people behave in the real world.
Then he goes on to say:

Quote:
Certainly I shall continue to tell women that I am in thrall to the ballet and wish for nothing more than an evening dolled up to the nines in the Royal Opera House. For some reason, women seem to think that men who admit a penchant for ballet are sensitive and, therefore, suitable mating material. Or they think they’re loaded, and suitable mating material. One of the two. And by the time they’ve found out the truth, on both counts, it’s usually too late.
Not how people behave in real life? Sounds exactly how this moron behaves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:31 am 

Quote:
I hope this guy is joking. Lets analyze this in more detail. He has had at least 27 ex girlfriends - not something to be particularily proud of, and he has broken at least 27 promises. I would say there is character issue going on here. :) !

I am not even angry at this guys comments. I just feel sorry for him. I am not saying everyone has to love Giselle, but to not allow yourself to be touched by it, even for a moment - how terribly sad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:27 am 

Luckily we have his name now and we know how he operates, so no one who spots him at the ballet will ever confuse him with someone who is there for the sake of the art. Hope his dates know it as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:39 am 

I agree with Matthew, this Guy obviously has no understanding of ballet or anything beautiful. It saddens me to think that people have feelings (or rather lack of them) like this! As Matthew said 'How sad'!! :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:01 am 

I have never understood why some people consider ignorance something to be proud of!
And yes, there are women who appreciate men who appreciate the arts. There are women who want something more than a bodybuilder who acts in thug roles in movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:41 am 

I wish I could say that this is an isolated occurence, but in the UK this is strong trend. We have magazines such as "loaded" which proudly said of its current issue: "Oh yes, for £3.20 you get all this sex, humour and violence and so much more. Loaded: the original and still, by far, the best." Well I guess it depends what you mean by "best".

We have long been famous for our philistinism and I'm sure my UK arts loving friends won't argue. Here's one of the reasons I like Estonia - I'm sitting next to a woman at a dinner for an insurance sales team and ask: "Do you like ballet?" Her response: "Of course."

<small>[ 27 January 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]