public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Imfamous purple dance
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 7:00 am 

What happened? this i just have to hear. <BR> kim

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:34 pm 

Come on, LMCtech, don't leave us in suspense!<P>I've had my share of bloopers, too. There was a three minute solo that I choreographed and had performed many times. Only this one time, about 30 seconds at the beginning and the final pose were the original choreography. Don't ask what happened in between, because I don't have a clue. The audience seemed to enjoy it, however.<P>There was a time on tour, towards the end of a tour when everyone was losing it, that I had one of those memorable performing experiences. It was a group piece, maybe six of us, and it told a story. Well, it was one of those deals where we traveled all day and arrived at the theater with just enough time for a snack and a warm up and make-up, and we were on. We made our entrances. The sound technician started the music, in the middle of the musical selection. We stared at each other and started dancing. We managed to stay together, tell the whole story, and do all the steps in half the music. The audience never knew, and neither did the sound technician, until we "woke him up." I wish I had a tape of that performance!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 3:34 pm 

Slippery Floors - oy vey - ick - ack - grrrr.<P>I was dancing in East County Performing Arts center just east of San Diego, and the week before the Danish Royal Ballet had been there and two of them had fallen on stage. <P>So here I come a week later with that in mind. My dance went just fine - nary a problem - but I almost - almost - it was very close....fell taking a bow. LOL<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:18 pm 

My first time doing the nutcracker (7th grade) I was a court person in the opening scene of act 2. Twice -- twice! -- out of the three times we performed it, I managed to slip and trip over the throne. Nicely enough, the prince (who was currently sitting in the throne) helped pick me up again. He must have thought me a real klutz. I, on the other hand, was happy to be given attention by one of the "stars" of the show. Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:47 pm 

Okay here's the whole story.<P>Outdoor venue in foggy SF in July.<P>The director decided he wanted Zoastro (the High Priest type) to enter on a white horse. The crew was skeptical about this from the beginning. Everything had been fine in rehearsals except for a few minor pooing incidents.<P>Day of the performance the stage was REALLY wet. We did what we could, but...The horse takes his first step onstage, his foot slipped, he backed up and wouldn't move. Meanwhile the action onstage and in the pit is still going, so Zoastro starts singing from backstage. After all he had a mic on because it was an outdoor venue. The crew is trying to get him off the horse, calm the horse down and untangle Zoastro's costume from the saddle so he can get onsatge ASAP. All the while trying not to laugh hysterically. I have NO idea what they were doing onstage during our festivities backstage. I wish I had a video of that.<BR>Poor horsie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:00 pm 

LOL - sounds like a smart horse to me.....only people will walk/run/dance on slippery stages.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 3:29 pm 

Okay, LMCtech, you have to tell us the venue...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:16 am 

Stern Grove

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 9:04 pm 

Ooh... Stern Grove can be nasty, even -- or maybe especially -- in the summer. That's where SFB wore legwarmers on stage. It's also where a sudden gust of wind blew music sheets around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:09 am 

Performing on stage with mosquitos biting is most interesting, also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 5:24 am 

A light summer drizzle with the mosquitos biting is wonderful too - that way the costume skirt sticks to the legs.<P>Then there are the temporary stages - that begin to separate as one is dancing on them...the cracks getting wider and wider.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 11:14 am 

A musical director told me how he was playing for a performance of The Wiz (motown version of the Wizard of Oz).<P>A great tornado effect was planned with wind machines blowing out to the audience, but no-one trhought about the musicaians in the pit and their music. As soon as the fans started all their music went flying into the audience LOL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:47 am 

At Cullen Performance Hall in Houston, we once hosted a show that used a live camel. Everything went well in rehearsal, but on opening night the camel entered, crossed center stage, and did what camels (apparently) do best.<P>That night one of my stagehands found out what it <I>really</I> means to be lowest in seniority.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 5:58 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Then there are the temporary stages - that begin to separate as one is dancing on them...the cracks getting wider and wider.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Many years ago, I was technical dissector of a small ballet company in Florida which would send dancers out on lecture-demonstrations with no staff support -- no one to take care of them and no one to see to their safety.<P>On just such a stage as you describe, the platforms separated, a dancer's foot went through the gap, and -- when the platforms came back together -- his leg was broken.<P>Adequate staff support, of course, might have ensured that the dancers weren't working under unsafe conditions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 6:08 am 

Good Grief!! how awful!<P>I was on a temporary stage once that was set up on a large grassy plaza - which was not flat, but had a dip in the center. The stage took on the conformity of the land beneath it. I had to do really fast piqué turns, on pointe, in a circle. So half the time I was going down into the dip and the other half going UP the hill.<P>What a struggle.....ack - and trying to remember to smile all the while.<P>And about those cracks in the stage separating....it's really difficult not to dance looking down, being mesmerized by those cracks. Common sense dictates - LOOK DOWN - and yet, the dancer - can't do that.<P>And through it all the audience blithely unaware.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next