public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Imfamous purple dance
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:45 am 

Ok- its my turn to tell the tale of the imfamous purple dance. It was my first recital, and there were three of us, the other girls where only teens. So there we were on the stage, the teens - ashley on my left, and kindell on my right. we are in a V formation, i in the back. so the music starts and we begin our dance. i told ashley not to look into anyone's face or she might lose her concentration and lose her place. so what does she do, she looks into someone's face, and to my horror, she doing her OWN dance. i have no idea what she was doing. People said afterwards that i gave her a very strange look. then suddenly, my brain decides this is a good time to take a trip, and leaves me!! my mind blacked out, but my body kept dancing. (do you understand that?) so when i finally got my mind back i was doing a wonderful arabesque, the only problem: my back leg was extended to the FRONT!! YIKES!! PANIC!! a voice in my head said don't move it to the back, just keep going- so i did. then kindell was to do a windmill with her arms,then go down on one knee, which was our cue to do the same at the same time, only she looked over her shoulder, and for some reason, suddenly dropped to her knee, which ashley and i did also. (she later said, i saw you drop to your knee, so i did too. i said the same about her!! LOL)then i guess kindell felt out of place, and decided to do her own dance after that. this was the longest dance in history. i thought this was my permanent hell- doing a screwed up dance for eternity. you never saw three girls run off the stage as we did when the lights finally went down. now we sit around and laugh till tears come down our faces when we talk about the purple dance (oh by the way- our costumes were purple- thus the purple dance)<BR>Oh one more thing- people said they liked it!! they thought we were supposed to do our own thing. go figure?? <BR>kim

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Imfamous purple dance
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:49 am 

Yup - if you keep smiling and keep moving the audience may not be any the wiser.....<P>I was always told "if in doubt, bourrée!"<P>Did that once, yes, I did....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 1:11 pm 

I'm afraid I have an even worse recital experience. Okay, I have kind of messed up tendons in my ankles. Occasionaly the tendon will displace itself. This is only painful for a second but makes it immpossible to put weight on without falling over for at least 5 minutes if not an hour. Now I'm sure you can tell what's coming next. My tendon did this in the middle of my ballet dance with about four minutes to go. Luckily it was in a part where all four of us were doing different things. So I just stood their and did some port de bras while I decided how I could possibly get off stage without putting any weight on my left ankle. I ended up doing some "almost sissones" of stage. They looked very much like sissones even to me when I later watched the video but I wasn't putting weight on my left foot. You should has seen the looks on the three other girls' faces when the came off stage to see me happily sitting in the wings watching them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 1:21 pm 

LOL. The universal remedy, "when in doubt bouree." I've heard that, and yes, I've done it too. The fear is that you'll be boureeing for several minutes because nothing comes back to you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:09 pm 

I had a similar experience in an exam. I went in with two other girls and we all had to do dance two routines seperately. I danced the second routine last of all. They both danced very well with no hitches. I started off fine and then hit a blank half way through, I simply could not remember the next step, so I made a portion up and then just carried on withe the set choreography once I remembered it. My friends said they couldn't believe how I managed to just make something up on the sopt like that but you just go into auto-pilot. Anyway, we had a laugh about it and I resigned myself to getting a lower mark than them.<P>However I received a whole grade higher than them. The dance was not a set syllabus one, it was choreographed by the teacher so the examiner wasn't familiar with what the steps were supposed to be and obviously my improvised bit must have gelled and I must have performed it well. I don't think they ever forgave me. LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:33 pm 

My big blank came when I was performing Aurora's variation from Sleeping Beauty. Oh - I had such a beautiful tutu!! And a tiara!!<P>Yes, it was wonderful, until....until....that big empty blank spot in my brain came up. I had no idea what I did..none at all. When I came off stage everyone was telling how well it went. I was, of course, in total disbelief. I had no idea what I did until I watched the tape. <P>And, hey, it wasn't bad....it wasn't Petipa...but it wasn't bad...at least it went with the music.<P>It's funny how all of a sudden that happens, and then its a blank, and then in a certain place in the music one gets back to the "real" choreography.<P>I heard that happens to musicians too, and their motto is "when in doubt tune up".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:42 am 

LOL these posts are great! I am also a musician, and our motto is "if you're going to play the wrong note, play it with confidence". Have done it myself, many times....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:05 am 

Maybe if you do it with enough confidence and aplomb, the people watching will think everyone else is wrong! Heh-heh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:22 am 

I hear ya Sissonne! I'm also a musician (clarinet, very little guitar, piano, flute , and soon to be bass clarinet) and I've heard that many times. The same thing happens in acting. The one time I got a big part (i was becky in "A Little Princess") i forgot my lines. There's this part when one of th girls was supposed to "slap" me I say something and then run off stage. One night though, I wasn't paying attention and didn't turn my head at the right time, so she really did slap me! It was as if everything went out of my head! I couldn't think of my line so I pretended to cry and ran off stage. The director didn't even notice!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:49 am 

Well, I had that forget stuff happen in ballet class .....but....<P>We were doing an adage, this was an advanced class, and the teacher was of the drill sargeant variety. I was standing in the front line and the combination just went phooey out of my head, so I improvised, the teacher glared at me, and I smiled back (the bigger the mistake the bigger the smile).<P>After the combination was over I stood there waiting for the axe to fall - and it did - on everyone else. He told them all in no uncertain terms that only one person in the entire class had gotten the combination correctly and it was "moi". What to do? ack!!<P>Honesty and character would dictate to tell the truth - but you can't interrupt a drill sargeant and he would have taken that as insolence, telling him that he had it wrong. So I kept silent. But believe me I suffered more than the rest of the class because I KNEW I was wrong and they were right.<P>After class, he took me aside, and told me that he KNEW I had gotten it wrong, but my smile sold it to him for just long enough for him to momentarily doubt his eyes - and that was long enough to "sell" the combination to him. <P>Talk about a convoluted experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:16 pm 

Really, overall, my memory has been very good. I have zillion of embarassing moments onstage, but not for forgetting things. In my first solo, at the age of 14, I did 5 petit jetes instead of 4, but that was easily fixed. Once, though, I was in a trio dancing to some really strange music. The teacher of this dance never counted out the music -- she just gave us the steps and we would sort of figured it out. It all flowed together. When we performed, I was in the front, and for some reason I did everything really fast -- I don't know why. The poor dancers behind me tried to keep up, but had a hard time of it. Then we ended and the music kept going and going and going... oh, I felt bad! But we were laughing, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:22 am 

Ohhh, speeking about on-stage-bloopers..... Yikes....... My school (not ballet, just normal high school) class tournament..... I had a solo with dance...... Stage waaayyyyyyyy too small......... Was making endless very very plus petit pas de chat and ditto temps levé arabesques..... Music was finale waltz from the nutcracker...... you know this overwhelming TAAAATATTTAAAAATTAATTTAAAA music, don't know how to explain it....... And i was making my miserable jumpy-thingies instead of the choreographed grand jetés, entrelacés, grand pas de chat, whatever.... Looked like some kind of beginner class petit allegro, while i was practicing on the real thing for WEEKS!!! Ok now you think this was a bad experience, but here comes the REAL BAD THING: the nightmare of each dancer.... THEY TURNED OFF THE MUSIC IN THE MIDDLE OF MY 'DANCE'!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRRR<P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:23 am 

Don't look at my signature in the previous mail... Just don't... I can't stand that!!! AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH<P>(talking about mistakes....LOL)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 6:01 am 

LOL - Katheryn and Anastasia!!<P>I think just as bad as a stage that is too small - is a stage that is too big.<P>My best student and I had a piece we would dance together it used the music from "Serenade". It was a piece we danced for years in many, many different places. Once we were asked to dance it at an outdoor stage but there was no chance to rehearse it on that stage. <P>There was one point in the dance where she was in upstage corner right and I in upstage corner left and we were supposed to dance toward each other and meet in the middle......except there was soooooooooooo much room on this stage, it seemed we could barely see each other.<P>So we began to really stretch out those steps desperately trying to get to one another. And trying to keep from laughing. You never saw such huge (long) tour jeté, monster glissades, grand jetés, etc., in your whole life!!<P>Luckily we are the same height, 5'7" and she was a very experienced performer - so that helped. And we made it - just about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:50 pm 

Slippery stages are also LOTS of fun. Worked an opera with a live horse that did not like the slippery outdoor stage. Made for an interesting entrance in the last scene of Act I Magic Flute.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next