public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Those Who Should Have Danced.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:54 am 

Actor Hope Davis:

Quote:
ETERNAL HOPE

RUSSELL SCOTT SMITH
PageSix

But Davis always wanted to be a performer. At first, she dreamed of dancing like Gelsey Kirkland, and even had posters of the prima ballerina in her bedroom. <a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pagesix/20030814/en_pagesix/eternalhope target=_blank>more on Yahoo</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:13 pm 

I had a poster of Gelsey Kirkland, too, and I wanted to be like her. Wait a minute...Baryshnikov was also in that poster. Maybe it was him I wanted to be like. It's been so damned long ago, I'm not sure any more.

<small>[ 30 August 2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:21 pm 

But seriously: I just saw a movie that was released last year called "Tadpole". It starred a very young man named Aaron Stanford. I'm not really saying Mr. Stanford should have danced, but if I were a producer casting a movie about young Nureyev, I would take a close look at this guy. He's not a dead ringer, but there's a compelling resemblance. Of course, there's always the problem that at some point in such a movie he'd have to dance. Hmmm...if Canoe Reeves can fly through the air and dodge bullets...

<small>[ 30 August 2003, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Liscarkat ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:09 am 

It's hard to imagine Hope Davis in Baywatch, which is why, I suppose, she didn't get the part. That show is not quite the place for someone who's been described as having "a sort of weary Botticelli beauty."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:13 am 

Hope Davis is infinitely more beautiful than anybody who ever bounced across the screen in Baywatch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:53 pm 

I was sure Brigitte Bardot was mentioned earlier, but looking back through this thread, I didn't find her. So, here's a link to a website with a picture of her in a ballet classroom -- looks like a rehearsal to me.

http://www.imzadi.nl/Rwwp4/bb_bio.shtml

I can't remember the name of the movie in which she plays a ballet dancer and dances sur les pointes and even does a bit of pas de deux work. (I know this has been discussed somewhere in CD.) Anyway, she looked as if she'd had correct training.

<small>[ 01 September 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:19 am 

I found the title of the movie: La Vie Privée (1962) (English title: A Very Private Affair).

I didn't think much of the movie, but it was interesting to see BB in her brief scene in the ballet studio. I didn't recall that Marcello Mastroianni was the leading man -- incroyable!

<small>[ 01 September 2003, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:50 am 

Time & Place: Before we were Cheeky
Monica Irimia remembers the flat in Transylvania where she and sister Gabriela grew up in the Ceausescu era. From The Sunday Times:

I was brought up by my grandmother in a beautiful two-bedroom flat in Cluj-Napoca in the heart of Transylvania.....I always wanted to be a ballerina; it never crossed my mind that I’d ever be a pop star.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9