public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: The French Language and the Computer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2000 11:42 am 

A language instructor was explaining to her class that, in French, nouns, unlike their English counterparts, are grammatically designated as feminine or masculuine. For example, "house" in French is feminine:"la maison" but "pencil" is masculine: "le<BR>crayon." One puzzled student asked, "What gender is computer?"<P> The teacher did not know and the word wasn't in her French dictionary; so, for fun, she split the class into two groups and asked them to decide whether "computer" should be a masculine or feminine noun. Both groups were required to give four recommendations for reasons for their recommendation.<P> The men's group decided that computers should definitely be of the feminine gender, "la computer," because:<P> 1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic. <P> 2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.<P> 3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in<BR>long-term memory for possible later retrieval. <P> 4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.<P> The women's group, however, concluded that<BR>computers should be of the masculine gender, "le computer," because:<P> 1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.<P> 2. They have a lot of data but are still<BR> clueless. <P> 3. They are supposed to help you solve the<BR>problem; but half the time they ARE the problem.<P> 4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize<BR>that, if you'd waited a little longer, you could have got a better one.<P>sorry.....couldn't resist ........<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The French Language and the Computer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2000 1:21 pm 

The arguments for 'la computer' seem coherent and valid to me, while the rationale for 'le computer' seems like gross distortion. I speak on a purely objective basis, you understand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 5:33 am 

Everybody who has anything to do with french people would know, that they would use an one noun. <P>So the translation is "ordinateur".<P>And then - i think - it's quitte easy: ordinateur comes from "ordinary". <P>It must be feminine Image <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 12:14 pm 

But....but.....but.......would a true Frenchman EVER call woman "ordinary"??????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2000 2:18 am 

No, YOU are right!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 9:18 am 

mmh... hey you guys, I'm back!<P>I just wanted to say that in french, computer in masculine. And you can trust me Image<P>If ever you have another problem with french language, i'm here! hehe<BR>I'm thinking about that, because I've seen lots of website about ballet, and oh my god there are so many mistakes in ballet french terms! Image<P>love<P>Caroline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 9:21 am 

oh, just one more thing for berry: french woman are NOT ordinary, so computer couldn't be feminina Image)<BR>and yes, "ordinary" and "ordinateur" have nothing related. Image <BR>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 11:55 am 

this is so off the dance topic, but david sedaris, a nyc writer, tells a funny story in his book "me talk pretty one day" about when he moved to paris and couldn't tell when things were masculine/feminine (he started to hate small french children who just "knew") so he would go to the market and ask for "many" or "some" so that he could just say "les" or "des" instead of using "le/un" or "la/une". eventually his fridge was so full his boyfriend wouldn't let him buy food anymore. <BR>(the americans are the only people i know who would try to use their english word with a french article, "le computer"? bwaaaahhhhhh :} )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 12:38 pm 

hahaha very funny Image<BR>but you know, as for the articles, it's even worse in german: they've masculines, feminines and neutral (? i don't know if it is the right word... sorry). so complicated! I can never remember them. <P>That's funny, each time that an english speaking guy speaks in french, he is always wrong with the articles. but we can perfectly understand, so in fact I don't think it's a big problem... <P><BR>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 4:23 pm 

paquita, i am very glad to see you back. and that sedaris story is a good one, isn't it? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 12:32 am 

hey grace how are you?<P><BR>hehe, this story is really a good one Image I love it, so funny! Image <BR>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]