public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Only a dancer would understand
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:27 am 

I have officially lost my mind. Last night I passed up a chance to go swimming, because I had a chance to take class. Granted, I have had limited opportunity to take classes this summer and was getting pretty cranky and desperate, but, Geez Louise, it must be 300 degrees outside! Only a fool would pass up 6 feet of cool water to get even MORE hot and sweaty. Sigh. Thank goodness for you people. The rest of the world thinks I am nuts. (Except my dear husband, who is a musician and will play a concert even if he has to be carried there on a stretcher. He understands the passion. I am blessed to have him.)<BR>

Post subject: Re: Only a dancer would understand
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:33 am 
ANY artist would understand you Sissonne-but I think anyone whos into a prof/activity that requires dedication and continous study would know-whether they are writers,tennis players,ministers,etc.What they are doing isnt "average" so many times they wouldnt do what the "average"person is doing in 300 degree weather!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:34 am 

I always told myself that once I was hot and sweaty at the barre - it didn't matter what the temperature outside was.<P>However, it is important to remember to keep yourself hydrated, especially in humid weather. Thank goodness, in San Diego we don't have much humidity. <P>I have passed up wedding receptions, luncheons with friends, visiting relatives - you name it - for ballet class. We all have our priorities. As long as I am not hurting anyone else....ballet class comes at the top of the list.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:55 am 
DITTO Basheva.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:52 am 

Hey all, it is 110 degrees here every day (I am in New Mexico on a friend's comp.) and going to dance is AWFUL! it is soooo hot and STINKY. but it is great to be dancing again after a 6-day hiatus in the car coming here Image well... ill talk to you all again when my comp. is hooked up again. I miss my comp. so much!! well have fun , ttyl Image<BR>-Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:12 am 
ENJOY ZOE!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 9:53 am 

To All Of The Dancers: Even though I am only<BR>a fan, I do realize and witness several times<BR>a week the hard work, devotion and passion that most dancers have in great supply. It is why I think of dancers as among the last groups of athletes largely unspoiled (?) by the scourge of performance enhancing drugs. Dancers, just by the nature of the beast, never forget the basics they learn when they<BR>first got into ballet. It seems that many<BR>professional athletes skipped the basics. Most dancers know the history of dance. It is<BR>not like many pro sports players. I even heard a baseball player (black) ask why Jackie Robinson should be important to him! How many dancers don't understand the importance of Vegris, Bourneville, Petipa,<BR>Nijinsky, Pavola, Balanchine, Foyntane, Ashton,and so on? ??Not too many!!!!! <BR> I have seen Misha and Charles Askegard(fr. NYCB}take classes with the boys at SAB. They<BR>were concentrating on their barre& floor<BR>exercises, not "starring". All for their art.<BR>Nothing else. But what a thrill and an important lesson for the boys. A lesson in professionalism!!!!!!!!!! You dancers get the Oscar for Hardest Workers.....dollar for dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:30 am 

Oh, I am Angela! I start a dance intensive with one of the big shots at the NM ballet on Tuesday, it should be fun, but HOT. <BR> That's a good point- dancers are very underestimated as far as our knowledge and athleticism go! Well... will yak lata,have fun.<BR>-Zoe

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]