public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Top 50 albums
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:12 am 

Some material from these albums has found its way onto dance stages, but really this is for the chance to wander down Memory Lane:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 96,00.html

The Beach Boys and "Pet Sounds" is there of course, but I'm delighted that "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" by the Byrds is there. Not sure how they could leave out "Aftermath" by the Rolling Stones though,

What 's good and not so good from your perspective?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:41 am 

Well, I'm not much of a pop music fan (and, having had a memorable experience with the lady and her road crew, I'd say that "Without this, there'd be no ... Siouxsie and the Banshees" is a powerful argument against an album's ever having been released), but....

No Bridge Over Troubled Water?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:55 am 

Good point, Jeff. But I have to declare that I have soft spot for "Spellbound" by Siouxsie and the B's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:34 am 

Yeah I could say the same thing about: 4 NWA Straight Outta Compton (1989)
no eminem would suit me just fine!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:46 am 

Stuart, suffice it to say that Siouxie and the Banshees' late-80s American tour did more damage to Anglo-American friendship than your burning of Washington in 1814.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 am 

They missed at least two albums:

Buffalo Springfield, (re-issue 1967)
Buffalo Springfield was a short-lived yet highly original and influential folk-rock group that served as a springboard for the careers of Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Richie Furay and Jim Messina. In November 1966, Stills wrote the landmark song "For What It's Worth" after observing the Sunset Strip riots. The recording of this song was in December, and by March 1967, the Buffalo Springfield had a Top Ten Hit.(Wikipedia)

Without this no Crosby Stills, Nash & Young, no Woodstock?

AND

Garth Brooks was the 1989 self-titled debut album by country music singer Garth Brooks. It featured his first ever single "Much Too Young To Feel This Damn Old", a top 10 success which put an independent cowboy singer, Chris LeDoux, into the mainstream due to the lyric "a worn out tape of Chris LeDoux", and three country #1's: "If Tomorrow Never Comes", "Not Counting You", and one of Brooks' most known songs, "The Dance".
Brooks was a phenomenal musical force in the 1990s. He had his chart breakthrough in 1989, having come apparently from nowhere, and was an immediate commercial success. Lacking the tall and lanky physical appearance typical of some male country stars, he successfully integrated pop and rock elements into his recordings and live performances. He soon began to dominate the country singles and country albums charts and quickly crossed over into the mainstream pop arena, selling records like no one else in country music ever had and exposing country music to a larger audience than previously thought possible. (Wikipedia)

Without this no Kenny Chesney, no Toby Keith (who I wouldn't miss), none of the current hillbilly rock stars.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:40 am 

For What It's Worth was a brilliant song, but it's totally irrelevant today, having been written about a government that was illegally spying on Americans and was engaged in a futile war with no viable exit strategy.

Right.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]