public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Have you hugged your kitty today?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 10:43 am 

Just had to share my story - hope you don't mind.<BR>I had an exciting lunch hour yesterday. I rescued a kitten from a storm drain. I had been walking across the parking lot at work, heard mewing, and found a tiny yellow/white striped kitten trapped in the drain. I tried to get help from Physical Plant but they refused, saying they don't help feral cats. So I went back there, sat on the curb, talked to him, and wiggled my fingers through the opening, which really was big enough for him to get through if he knew how. He came right towards my hand, struggled to climb out, and soon (though it seemed like forever!) I was able to reach and grasp him, and pull him out. He didn't fight at all, just curled against me and stopped crying. So maybe he wasn't feral at all, just dumped. I took him to another department, where I know several animal lovers. They all oohed and aahed and said they had some milk, would take care of him, and find him a home because I couldn't keep him, though I REALLY wanted to.<BR>I am happy today, because I worried about him all last night, wondering if I did the right thing, or should have left him in case his mother was somewhere. But I didn't see or hear any other cats, and after the deluge we had last night, surely he would have drowned. He has now been adopted by a woman who has two neutered male cats already. He has been to the vet, been given a worm pill, and formula for round the clock feedings for a week. He is 4 1/2 weeks old, will be coming to work with her for a week, so I can visit him, and is being doted on by everyone. And he is a "Hemingway cat", with six toes on each paw, so he is even more special. And now he will be loved, possibly named Ernie, and I can be his aunt. Life can be good. :-)<BR>Oh, and this IS dance related, because if I wasn't a dancer, I probably could not have contorted myself to reach into the drain! :-)<P><BR>[This message has been edited by Sissonne (edited August 24, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by Sissonne (edited August 24, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Have you hugged your kitty today?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:06 am 

Makes the day worthwhile doesn't it Sissonne?<P>Here is mine:<P> Image <BR><font size=1>EFFIE</font><P>She is named for the sweet character in La Sylphide. And Effie is a sweet as they come. I got her from the animal pound - she was scheduled for euthanasia in only a couple of hours. I was desperate for a cat, as Margot had left only a week before. Effie and I have been soul mates for over ten years now.<P>If you would like to read about Margot here it is:<P>A LETTER TO MARGOT<P>The first time I saw you, you were running for your life to hide under a bed. The lady who was selling you pulled you out by the scruff of your neck. There was a second female kitten who looked just like you. Another buyer declared your sister was more beautiful, grabbed her and left you behind. I paid my twenty five cents and you were mine. As I cuddled you in my arms, you were so shy you shivered and closed your eyes.<P>Here is it nineteen years later and I have just returned from the Humane Society where you were put to your eternal rest. My house is empty. Nineteen years is a long time for a cat, but not enough for a friend. You were never my pet, you were my companion. We had our differences of opinion but I always eventually acknowledged the sobriety and common sense of your decisions and went along with them. I gladly made the adjustments to my life to accommodate your needs and schedule.<P>From a shy kitten you grew to be a beautiful brown tortoiseshell cat with a lush silky coat and large yellow eyes. Sometimes those eyes laughed at me; like the time you banged on the front door and when I came to answer it you ran up a tree. It was a favorite game of yours and I was never smart enough to avoid the joke. You were very fussy about your front paws. They were so dainty and turned out that I named you for my favorite ballerina, Margot Fonteyn, Prima Ballerina Assoluta. You were an honor to that name. When we walked down a dark hall or into a dark room you screamed in advance because you knew how clumsy I was in the dark, I would inevitably step on those delicate paws.<P>You patiently put up with my frailties. I couldn’t run up a tree and get my dinner as you could. Though you didn’t know my name, you knew me very well. You didn’t know our address but never failed to find the house. My sense of priorities puzzled you; as I scrubbed the floor while you sunned yourself on the roof. I struggled with soap, washers and laundry, while you kept yourself immaculate needing none of these things. How many times I envied you as I dashed around from chore to chore while you lay in the sun lazily licking your paws! Now as I look back I realize your sense of priorities was correct.<P>You had an innate knowledge of what was best for you. Remember the time the vet prescribed some pills? I placed one in your mouth, held your jaws shut and patted your throat. You made a big show of swallowing repeatedly. I even opened your mouth and checked to see that the pill was gone. You suffered that indignity because you knew humans are not as courteous as cats. Of course several days later I found the pill behind the drapes. And, you were right - you recovered without them.<P>Speaking of courtesy; you never forgot to acknowledge me even if you were just passing by. And, how you loved visitors! You stood beside me as I greeted or said good-bye to people. Of course, you also enjoyed the cookies I put out for them on the coffee table. You knew I wouldn’t approve, so you used your cat skills and picked up a cookie as you walked by never breaking your stride.<P>When we went to the vet for a checkup you buried your face in my arm and closed your eyes and I remembered the kitten you used to be. We were young together. We raised our children together. We enjoyed the same chocolate chip cookies, though I never let you have more than a sliver. And then we grew old together.<P>I had taken for granted all those years your ability to jump and the grace of your movements. Your fur was not as silky as it used to be and there was some gray on your nose. You spent more time asleep in the alyssum with sprinkles of flower petals on your head. You always loved to smell roses, too.<P>When you began tottering about and one day I found you asleep in a pool of water, I reluctantly realized our time together was limited. I realized it but somehow I couldn’t really bring myself to believe it. Finally, it became evident that you were in pain. I held you and sobbed over you and knew I could only give you the final gift of release.<P>So now, I walk around a house still filled with your spirit but my little wise friend, Margot, is with her Creator and I miss her.<P>Copyright October, 1998<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited September 08, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:32 am 

Thank you, Basheva. Your stories always make me cry, but feel better too. And I am weepy today - in the 2 minutes it took for me to carry Ernie from the storm drain to my colleagues' office, I think we had bonded. My darling Cosette is a pale calico, with tans and grays instead of orange and black. But she is very much an only pet and she (and my husband's new leather chairs!) would not welcome a new kitten. (She doesn't approve of dogs either.) Last night I held Cosette and listened to the pouring rain and prayed that Ernie would be loved too. I think he will.<BR>Sniffle. Sorry, everyone. I'll morph back into my usual tough old self now. <BR> <BR>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:09 am 

Effie is so lovely! We need a photo of Ernie too. What a nice story.<P>I think cats are very balletic - Margot loved them, you know, Basheva, so she would have been very pleased to have a cat named after her. She was once on a children's television programme where there was a Siamese cat and she stroked it much of the time she was being interviewed - the cat clearly liked her, too.<P>I also had a tortoiseshell cat that lived to be 19, and a ginger and a black and white who both lived to be 18. We got them when my sons were little boys at primary school, and they were still here when the boys had long since grown up and left the nest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:16 am 

There's a commercial currently being aired that shows a young couple, all dressed up, driving in their SUV through the rain. They see a poor dog in the middle of the road, all wet and shivering. They look at each other and then look at the <I>Swan Lake</I> tickets on their dashboard. . .and then pull over and pick up the dog.<P>One of the things I like about this is that it shows ballet in a positive light -- the performance is obviously <B>not</B> something they want to miss -- unlike the Tylenol commercial of several years back (I <I>still</I> don't buy Tylenol, by the way).<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited August 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:47 pm 

I want to show you my babies too, but how can I paste it on here as you have Basheva?<P>I speaker some "computer language", but I'm very limited... Image<P>I had 2 cats...you'll see in the picture, but one died last spring after eating a poisoned bird in the back yard..<P>All is well for the other one. The Grey one is still with me.<P>I named all my pets growing up after candy or treats....<P>Hershey, Snickers, Ginger Snap.<P>Then this grey one was given to me by grandma and she named him Cricket. Well, it suits him, he's a Cricket alright. THey are amazing how they fit thier names and personalities.<P>Knowing that about them now, I would try to pick a name for a pet inthe future that I wish theywould "live up to" haha...<P>(Consequently, Hershey, Snickers and Ginger could literally eat anyting in sight!) hee hee<P>Don't forget...I want to know how to paste my picture here. Oooo, let me try one thing....hang on....<P>Never mind....I tried to just copy/paste, but no luck.<P>Bye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:22 pm 

ShyAnne - you have to get it up on the server. I am on AOL and so I put it up on Aol's server. How YOU do it - I haven't the foggiest notion - sorry!<P>(It also helps to be married to an engineer).<P>I think that's really sweet naming them after candies - LOL - "pound cake" "cinnamon bun" "tutu" "goobers" -

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:23 pm 

That's really terrible that someone would put out a poisoned bird to kill a cat -really.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:52 pm 

I don't have a kitty. I have something even better though, and Salzberg, one crack about it looking like me and I'll smack you. Image<P><Center><BR> Image <BR>Joey, Summer 2001<P> Image <BR>10 weeks old, 2.2 lbs, 1998<P> Image <BR>Merry Christmas 2000 (me holding Joey)<P><p>[This message has been edited by *Sarah* (edited August 25, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:57 pm 

Sarah - unfortunately, none of those links is working for me.....and I would love to see what it is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:03 pm 

It took a few tries. I think I can see them now... the problem the first time was that my browser and keyboard are set to Korean and therefore my / was a won symbol... the second time was a URL too fat to fit. Image<p>[This message has been edited by *Sarah* (edited August 25, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:13 pm 

Yeah, Sarah, I can see how you wouldn't want me to insult the dog. . . .<P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:19 pm 

It just occurred to me that I should try to tie this into dance.<P>Joey likes it when I tap dance, he jumps and barks and runs like mad - puppy mania in the dog books - all over his personal gymnasium (aka our house).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:56 am 

Okay, let me brief you real quick on the poisoned bird thing. I know it's horrible, but it was not intentional.<P>We live near and agricultural university and they were having SEVERE trouble with black birds eating all the crops they were planting and harvesting. It was almost to the level of a plague, so they said.<P>Anyway, I found Hershey one morning early before practice and the very next evening onthe news, there was a huge report of how they were putting out poison around the area to get rid of the black bird problems they were experiencing.<P>It was a huge scandal and how they didn't figure that the bird would die AWAY from the area I will never no. Apparently someone overlooked the food chain scenarios and how this would all play out.<P>So my Hershey, big, fat, and lazy, Hershey who had only discovered living in the outdoors in the last 1/2 year, decided to hunt down a sickly bird in the yard.<P>It must have been sick for him to catch it.<P>Plese don't take my lightheartedness the wrong way...there is a funny twist to the humor in it really.<P>That morning as I walked outside, Cricket, the little grey one, looked at me as if to say....."I told him not to do it! Serves him right"<P>I swear to you to this day, it was like he had human facial qualities that you could read. Strange.<P>Cricket is fine, because he knew better. Hershey was always like the "cried wolf" type personality that would get himself into dumb messes that we would have to get him out of.<P>When we first took him home, I told my husband he was too young because he was still trying to suck on everything.<P>One day I was cuddling with him and he put the big fleshy part of his paw in his mouth and started nursing himself like a pacifier. It was ADORABLE! I have never seen anything like that before.<P>It only lasted a few months and he outgrew the need to do it I guess.<P>Well, that's all of my cat stories. I wish you could see those pictures, but I'm clueless.<BR>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:36 pm 

Talk about a lazy cat....I had one (yes, this is dance related because her name was "Olga" after the ballerina Olga Spessivetsiva) and she was sitting in the middle of the back lawn. I was watching her through the ******* window.<P>As she sat there she yawned, and a sparrow flew past her mouth. When she closed her mouth from the yawn, the bird was "caught". I don't know who was more surprised the cat or the bird. If I hadn't seen this I would never have believed it.<P>Anyway, after Olga got over her surprise (her ears went sideways) she marched off bird-in-mouth feeling quite proud of herself.<P>The other two cats had doubtful looks on their faces....they saw the bird in her mouth, but didn't believe she could have caught it in a legitimate catlike manner.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next