public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Internet culture spells doom for orthographers
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 am 

Quote:
If you believe the internet is the fount of all wisdom, giving free rein to bloggers to exercise their vocal cords, think again. Ancient English cliches and expressions are being mangled by the culture of cut and paste and the spread of unchecked writing on the internet.

Grammar

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:32 pm 

Have to say I don't see this as the end of civilisation as we know it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:33 pm 

The article starts with a prescriptivist point of viewing, stating that common nonstandard spellings being spread via the internet are "mangling" the spelling of English expressions. But then it seems to lean toward descriptivism, quoting someone from Oxford dictionaries who points out that spelling "is not fixed and can change over the years", and giving examples of currently accepted spellings that were once incorrect.

(I love using my newly-learned terminology, namely, prescriptivist and descriptivist!)

I agree with Stuart.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:47 pm 

I've come to believe that it's necessary to know only three English words to survive: "thing-y," "cool!," and "guy" ("blokes" in the King's English), as when the restaurant waitperson says to you, "Dessert, guys?" or the computer IT person says to you, "I'm plugging this guy into that guy, which should make that thing-y over there cool."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 am 

As there is a classical idiom structuring dance, so there is a linguistic paradigm structuring English. The vocabulary and arrangement within each is flexible...the tectonics are not. Evolving vocabulary, diction, syntax, etc. do not excuse poor writing or speaking, no more than emergent dance expressions should compromise beautiful technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 am 

Quote:
As there is a classical idiom structuring dance, so there is a linguistic paradigm structuring English. The vocabulary and arrangement within each is flexible...the tectonics are not. Evolving vocabulary, diction, syntax, etc. do not excuse poor writing or speaking, no more than emergent dance expressions should compromise beautiful technique.

That view is music to my ears, Shalott.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]