CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Week in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:07 am 

Hi! Along with some friends, Valerie and I have rented a cottage for a week in Lubec, ME, the easternmost town in the United States. We have a GREAT view of the water, and it's SOOO... peaceful here.<P>I brought my bike, of course. I forgot a crucial part, but luckily managed to find someone with a garage who got me a nut and bolt to replace it. Show now I should be in business... (me without my bike is like an Angeleno without his car).<P>I finished two months in NYC. I did well at the job, but I can't say how glad I am not be gone from that city. It is a very difficult place to live. The pedestrians make me mad, and that's just the start. I don't have to deal with that now for five weeks. All of you dreaming of NYC: it has some positive points, but it's NOT paradise.<P>Time at Ballet Academy East (actually the old Fokine school) went well, better than I expected. After I get back from Maine, I've got a month with our Summer Program in Boston. This year, we have a real men's class, as well as 3 days/wk of partnering. Both should be valuable. There's a new guy studying with us...<P>OK, until then, I'll say "hi" to the whales and seals for all of you out there.<BR>

Post subject: Re: Week in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:33 am 

Have a great chill out citibob.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:19 pm 

Hello CitiBob in the eastern most city in the United States from me in the extreme southwestern part of the country.<P>I was in Maine for a vacation travel trip many years ago and there are just miles and miles (probably thousands) of rugged coast line - inlets, bays, etc. And lakes....<P>We were on a four week vacation that started in Boston went up through Maine, and then followed the fall leave color change through New England, the Finger Lakes region of New York State, into central Pennsylvania, and ended in Philadelphia to see family.<P>It was quite a wonderful trip combining beautiful scenery and historical places (I am a Revoluationary War nut). You just reminded me of that vacation.<P>Have a great (peaceful) time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:05 pm 

I took a bike trip to Cambobello Island today, with Jonathan. Jonathan is an old friend, originally of Valerie's. As if by miracle, he appeared on the scene when I was hit by a pedestrian while riding my bike in New York this summer.<P>Jonathan has a real racing bike; mine is a touring bike. Not as fast. I managed to keep up with him for most of the way.<P>I was impressed to learn about some of the training things he goes through as a biker. He worked on isolating one leg at a time spinning. And he went through all different gears, from the lowest (spinning really fast) to the highest (standing up to pedal). It's very thorough. Not like me; I just try to get a gear that works well for the current terrain and mood.<P>This morning was sunny and clear. Quite beautiful. Now, the fog has rolled in. It's also hauntingly beautiful, to watch the trees swaying the fog, and to watch the village disappear from across the inlet.<P>Campobello Island is in New Brunswick, but it is only accessible via Maine. Go figure. So we did some international travel. The border guards are a LOT more careful now than they used to be.<BR>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:13 pm 

Well, I made it to the ballet class, which is held once a week. Very interesting people here in Maine.<P>The teacher taught many students at her school in Florida. She didn't intend to start a ballet school in Lubec, but by a series of events, that's what happened; nothing else is available for the kids here who want to dance.<P>I was a distraction to the kids; apparently, many of them had never seen a professional dancer, and they were fascinated watching me. So I was asked to stand front-center. I don't usually do that in a class that is not my own.<P>Anyway, it feels great to have had a class this week.<P>Meanwhile, I'm beginning to work on the violin part for a Schubert Sonatina, which I promised to play with our pianist. What amazes me is how learning to breath through my dance and NEVER PANIC has really helped my violin playing. I haven't really played for 10 years, but much to my surprise, many things were never lost.<P>Weather is AMAZING, much better than I expected for Maine. Sunny, not hot, clear air, not much rain, extraordinarily beautiful, and very quiet.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by citibob (edited June 25, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:22 pm 

It sounds glorious -- here's the flip side:<P>Ten years ago my then husband and I took a road trip up from Boston through to Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. On the way up we spent the night in a cheap motel in Augusta, in a room next to the ice machine. It wouldn't stop making noise and we couldn't figure out how to turn it off or unplug it. Finally at 2am we admitted defeat, got dressed and walked down the street to the all night Stop and Shop. Yes, we hung out at a supermarket at 2am. On the way back down to Boston we stayed in Bangor which was much, much better!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:31 pm 

You were fortunate there was some place to hang out at that hour of the night/morning. We spent a disastrous night at St. Mary's, Montana, and there was NO WHERE else to hang out for miles around.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:57 pm 

How interesting Citibob! I am reading a book right now called "No Ordinary Time, The story of Eleanor and FDR", the Pulitzer prize winning book about WWII, the Roosevelts and the homefront.The Roosevelt family had a vacation home on Campobello, right up where you are. I've never been up that far in Maine. Only as far as Mt.Desert Island. I love it up there...so beautiful and peaceful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:27 pm 

Trina, did you visit Jordan's Pond?<BR>I used to spend summers when I was younger in Bar Harbor, and in another life had a little house on Deer Isle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:27 am 

Last year, we went to Mt. Desert Island. The nature was nice and I biked around the carriage paths (including to Jordan Pond), but it felt like we never left the city. It was terrible! We cut our vacation short a few days early and headed for Vermont instead (which was peaceful).<P>As someone said the other day: Bar Harbor is a summer playground for the rich, Lubec is a summer playground for the poor. Also, I saw a bumper sticker that says, "The real Maine starts east of Ellesworth". I see what they mean.<P>On Sunday, I made it to Campobello Island and saw the outside of the Roosevelt vacation home. It's bigger than most of the vacation cottages around here (such as the one I'm staying in), but not ostentatious. I suspect it looks better now than when the Roosevelts lived there: perfectly manicured grounds, always new paint, etc.<P>We got some great sticky buns on Campobello Island. They were great. Time to go back and get some more. I'll just have to tell the Canadian border guards I'm going to Canada to buy sticky buns, and then tell the American customs officials I'm coming back from Canada with sticky buns.<P>The ferry to Deer Isle (and then to the mainland New Brunswick) doesn't start running until next week. Too bad...<BR>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:57 am 

Ah, Vermont....<P>I'm halfway through my two months of summer stock here in Burlington (well, Colchester, actually). I'd rather be here working than in most other places vacationing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:35 am 

Ah sticky buns - otherwise known to me as cinnamon buns. <P>While CitiBob is busy crossing international borders to purchase these delectable goodies, I think I will bake some. I have a great recipe I have been using for 40 years.<P>Let's see - I have yeast, need to grate up some orange rind, puff up lots of golden raisins, chop lots of walnuts....<P>Yes, I have all the ingredients...see you in a while folks, I will be in the *******.<P>When you smell that marvelous aroma of baking cinnamon buns, come on over.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:30 am 

Citiibob, I'm not clear on why you thought Mt. Desert Isle was terrrible; crowded perhaps? I'm guessing that's it. I fear many of our national parks are quite crowded, at least in summer time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:00 am 

I once drove like a bat out of hell-o through an insane storm from Boston to try and catch the ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scota. I made it with minutes to spare only to be told that the weather conditions meant no ferries were sailing that night. That was disappointing to say the least! If you want to avoid the crowds go to Nova Scotia, it's beautiful and cheap if you're spending U.S. dollars.<P>Cycling is great for training and because you can approach it technically it can be mentally stimulating as well. I learned a lot about fitness from a friend who is a professional cyclist - who, btw, was shocked to learn that many dancers train year round and work til injury stops them, that they don't follow training diets for the most part, but try to stay at the same weight and fitness level all year. etc. Which reminds me, the Tour de France starts soon, talk about cyclists at their physical peak!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:43 am 

I thoroughly agree Marie, regarding the need to have a training/athlete mentality. Often I feel like dancers GET injured, because they are neglecting the basics..enough sleep, good food, and rest, as necessary. When does the Tour de France start?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]