public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: i'm becoming LESS flexible!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:02 pm 

Well, i'm into my 4th week of modern and jazz dance classes here in Milwaukee but i've noticed that during this time i've become less flexible in my legs in relation to moving my legs out to either side of me. i discussed this with my jazz teacher, and she said that this was normal as she had been making us do exercises to strengthen our hamstrings (at least, i think it was hamstrings, whichever muscles work the legs in a forward and backward motion) and because of that my leg muscles have been putting up resistance to this.

anyway, my question is, how do i counter this? i would like my flexibility to increase, not decrease, so any help is appreciated! i'm guessing some gentle stretching every day, but i just want to make sure as i don't want to damage myself :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:35 pm 

Hi Alex! Well, it sounds as though you are really doing a lot of dancing! :) I think it is natural to feel "stiff" when you are working this hard learning new things. You are using your body and your muscles in new ways and with an intensity that perhaps they are not quite used to... Stretching is definitely important and will make you feel better. Ask your teacher for some specific stretches. I like floor stretches. You could try "straddle" and then stretch sideways toward your leg (arms held high), then turn to face your leg for a different stretch. With your body again upright, then "pancake" forward in your straddle, keeping your back very straight and not "hunched" with your arms stretched out before you. Be sure that your legs maintain maximum rotation of turnout in your hip socket when executing your straddle. It's good, too, to lie on your back and lift your leg in front of you (other leg stretched out on the floor) to stretch your hamstring ( used pointed and then flexed foot). You could then do circular rotations with the leg keeping your back and pelvis in constant balanced contact with the floor. Any of these kinds of stretches or variations of them would be beneficial in helping with flexibility. If anyone offers a "floor barre" there, check it out! Hope this helps, and lots of luck and have a wonderful time dancing...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:51 pm 

Thanks Gina, that was very helpful, thanks for taking the time for that. could you please just explain what you mean by this though, as i don't really understand:

Gina Ness wrote:
Be sure that your legs maintain maximum rotation of turnout in your hip socket when executing your straddle.

thanks again

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:37 am 

Hello...Turn out when you straddle. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]