public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Dreaded Adagio
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:04 am 

I'm decently flexible, but I just can't hold my leg! I'm good enough with my left, but I can't hold my right to save my life -_- I don't think I'm doing it right because I'm not improving and I'm feeling it along the top of my thigh when shouldn't I be feeling it at the side/bottom?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:44 pm 

Hello, Nava, and welcome to CriticalDance! Adagio work is very challenging, so you are not alone. When you execute your develope a la seconde (is this what you are speaking of?) at 90 degrees, there is a visible tilt of the pelvis. Shoulders must remain parallel to the floor at all levels of your extension. When the leg is higher (say 120 degrees) there is also a slight displacement of the rib cage. Your working thigh needs to be rotated in the hip joint, with the supporting side also supported by rotation. Make sure you are lifting well out of your supporting hip. It's a good idea to have your extended leg slightly in front of your torso as this will facilitate this rotation. You want to feel like your hamstring is doing the lifting, even though it it isn't entirely...This takes repetition and strength. Don't be discouraged! Work at a lower level with the working leg until you gradually build the strength to raise and hold it higher. Hope this helps!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:16 pm 

Make sure you lift 'out' or your supporting leg, BREATHE(i know it sounds stupid but it helped me), and dont take your leg higher than you're able to hold it. Doing a low devellope(even lower than 90 degrees) and really feeling your turnout muscles will help you a lot more than a higher leg+working the wrong muscles. As Gina said, you'll gradually get better. You just have to be patient.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]