public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: beginner seeking answers!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:21 pm 

hey! i am new to this forum and fairly new to dance (i just started 2 years ago). i am turning 15 in a few months and i have a few questions. if it helps any answers i'm anout 5'2 120 lbs i have good arches and have been told i am the best dancer in my class. anyways my questions are:

- how long will it be (if ever) before i go on pointe?

- what do teachers usually look for or, what should i be able to do to be able to go on pointe?

- is there anything i can do (such as excersises, etc.) to speed up the process?

- did i start too late?

as you can see my goal is to get on pointe (en pointe?), not to become professional ballerina, my dance studio's recitals are enough for me. have i started too late? and help would be very appreciated!!! thank you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:18 am 

Hello, latestart09, and welcome to CriticalDance! You seem to really be enjoying your dance study. There are some broad, basic guidelines regarding pointe readiness. Your teacher can help you here, too. You need to have studied ballet for at least three years (and not just once a week!). Age 16 or 17 (in your case) isn't too old to begin pointe study. The fact that you have good, serviceable feet is in your favor. You need to be taking at least three one and a half hour classes per week. Lots of tendus and being certain that you do not roll in or sickle out your feet when pointing your feet or standing on 3/4 pointe will help you get ready for pointe work.

You haven't begun your study of ballet too late as long as you truly have no desire to dance in a major school or company. There are many other options to enjoy and pursue as a dancer.

Pointe work is not the be all and end all of ballet study. Sorry, but this is true...Be patient and work like mad on your technique and strength. You want to be sure that you have a good, solid foundation and enough strength in your feet and your placement to support your pointe work. If you go on pointe before you are really ready, you may sustain injury and this is simply not worth it...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:06 am 

thank you so much!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]