public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Doing the cliche move to NYC, but need a coach, HELP!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:12 am 

:shock: So, after trying to succeed at two different schools, I have come to the conclusion that I might as well just go off and move to NYC and try that whole deal... I know I really need a coach, and I am slowly compiling a list of teachers who also coach. I figure I'll go and take their classes and see who I fit with... however I am having a slightly hard time finding people... I'm hoping for quite a few names that way there are more options... Basically what I am trying to say/ask is please please let me know if you know of any good coaches in the NYC area for an aspiring ballet dancer. I'm 18, and and searching for an intensive coach, some one who would later be willing to help me prep for NYIBC. IF you know of anyone who fits the coaching profile, please let me know!!! Even if it's an obvious name, because I could have very easily over looked it. Thank you thank you thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:01 am 

I'm sure you'll get responses from people much more knowledgeable than I, but one place to look might be Dance/NYC.

You might also look at Steps, Peridance, Broadway Dance Center, and Dance New Amsterdam..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:02 am 

Hi mnbn and welcome back to CriticalDance - good to hear from you again and hear about your exciting plans.

Just a couple of points of clarification for our Moderators: can you give an indication of your experience and level of attainment to date, please, plus what are your aspirations in ballet?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: my experience level and aspirations
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:20 am 

I have performed in a student-based company in lead roles, including the title role in Cinderella, and performed lead roles in Raymonda and Les Patineurs. Most recently I have attended Kaatsbaan's Summer Intensive for 2004 and 05. I am finishing up a rocky road at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School Grad program (pre-professional), rocky because of health issues including mono. But also attended Central School of Ballet, fall 2004, leaving for the opportunity to perform the previously stated cinderella. As for aspirations, to be the best dancer I can, and get paid doing so :lol: ... Right now employement is my interest, however I'm curious about the European contemporary scene. I have a great respect for classics and would love to perform them however I know they are not what I hope to be doing ten years from now. As everyone knows getting a job is hard in the dance/ballet world and that is what I am trying to do now, as well as obviously continue training because through recent auditions I know I am not up to par. This all makes me sound like a complete snob, didn't mean to sound like that... hope this makes things even a little bit clearer!! Sorry, and thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:01 am 

As an aside...

If you are thinking of the NYIBC, be aware that you must apply with a partner. And as far as preparing - you only have to come with contemporary a solo variation. The pas de deuxs are not announced until the competition begins and all particpants receive coaching on these pas de deuxs whilst at the competition.

As such, you should think about a coach who might be able to assist in finding a suitable partner and who can help you with a contemporary solo.

Good luck!
Kate

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]