public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Written critique of own work?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:12 am 

allthatjazz posted the following in question in the Modern forum, I thought it would get more response here:

Quote:
I need SO much help with my a-level dance coursework. I thought id be ok, but im really struggling.
We have to evaluate our own solo dance talking about starting points, our ideas, motifs, devices we used, what we discarded, any training we used to help the performance, rehearsal techniques etc.

My solo dance has been really well choreographed, alot of plp have commented on it but im finding writing about it hard. The structure of the coursework espesically. It has to be between 1500- 1800 words and i dont know where to start.

allthatjazz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:55 am 

Hi, allthatjazz, and welcome to CriticalDance. Sorry to hear that you have hit a block with your work. My first thought is that you should arrange to speak with your teacher about your problems and work out an approach to break the roadblock.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 pm 

Hi allthatjazz

you say in your post that you have to write about:

Quote:
starting points, our ideas, motifs, devices we used, what we discarded, any training we used to help the performance, rehearsal techniques

so if this is what you have to do, what is it that you are finding difficult? Are you having problems breaking it all down into these categories if your solo piece "just came together like that"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:42 am 

Yeh thats exactly it....I spent ages choreographing the dance and I really did background for it and gave it a purpose, the dance didnt just come together.
Im just finding it hard breaking it down.....
PART A is about how we choreographed, techniques we used, devices etc (25 marks)
PART A2 is about lighting, costume etc (5 marks)

PART B is about technical training, performance training
PART B2 is about rehearsal process, feedback etc

PART C is notation - having to do benesh or laban

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:56 am 

OK atj - let's start at the beginning: how did you choreograph the piece eg

- how did you choose the music
- your initial thoughts - "what will it be about"
- detailed planning at home/working in the studio?
- any use of improvisation/task setting?
etc

Then you can move on to the other sections of part A

Two further thoughts:

- make notes like the above to break down each topic and make short notes on the answers as well before the full draft

- I still think you should be consulting your teacher. For a project like this their role should be more that of a supervisor, rather than a teacher, so make use of that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 am 

We are in the half term break and so I cant meet up with my teacher. I have been texting her and she has been giving me some pointers but its the structure of the coursework thats hard. should it go back and forth or being joined or in sections?!
it cant go like:

rehearsing......... this is what i did etc
technical........i did this etc
it has to interlink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:23 am 

OK atj - my further two cents worth. Alex, you've been through a similar process, so let me know if what I propose doesn't make sense.

1. The structure given has 4 sectiona with allocated marks, so those should show up as distinct sections.

2. Within each section, I would go for contibnuous text with clear paragraphing for new themes or a different aspect of a longer theme.

3. Make notes for A:relevant questions marking the different steps and brief notes as to what you did. look at the order of your notes and decide whether you want to change the order - a computer notebook is great for this of course. Then draft the continuous text using your notes as a basis. The first sentence of each para should make it clear what the subject will be.

4. If A is especially daunting, maybe start the process where you feel on safer ground.

5. work your way through the list of scetions and then review whether you need to change order around.

Do some planning and make a start - that's the key step

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:16 am 

Stuart that all seems like a good way of doing it. allthatjazz what Stuart says about keeping the essay in distinct sections is probably the most important, that way it will be easy for the marker to follow.

something that would help us a lot is the title of the essay, what is it? Is it a set one or do you make up your own?

When i had to write a critique of my performing arts piece my basic plan was:

INTRO
IMPROVISATION (how you devised the piece)
REHEARSAL (any changes you made and the rehearsal process)
PERFORMANCE (how the performance went, anything that went well/badly etc.)
CONCLUSION

Do you have to write about your performance of the piece?

From what you've told us so far it seems that you essentially have to write about everything you did, so if your memory serves, try and write down chronologically everything that you did in terms of creating choreography, desigining and making costumes etc. as that may help you remember things.

The most important advice i can offer if you have to write about what you do, is first say what you did, but then it is important that you explain WHY you did those things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:02 am 

It is also important I think to keep to the sections to give you some clarity and also avpid repeating yourself.

Also have you got any feedback from others who have seen your work. That could be interesting to evaluate and use as a way of analysing your work from a more objective viewpoint.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]