public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Politics and dance ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:31 am 

Hey everyone, Long time no speak :D

Well I'm well into my dance course at the minute and loving every minute of it !!

I was in my performing arts history class the other day, and we've been set a project to identify and portray.....
'how economical, historical and political factors have and are affecting the performing arts whether it's on or off of stage?'

I was just wondering if anyone wanted to give their opinions on this?
Thanks and keep on dancing
Dancer246 xx xx xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:09 am 

Hello again Dancer246

you may or may not be aware, but there is a nine page long topic on dance and politics in the Dance Issues forum here:

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1236

Maybe you will find some interesting comments there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:52 pm 

Wow...you could do a PhD thesis on that topic and then some....

I think, by definition, economic, political and historical factors define and determine the performing arts.

To use Denmark as an example, since the recently published book on Bournonville delves deeply into dance & Danish society, you could say that politics brought dance to Denmark since ballet came from the French court dances that were 'exported' to the Danish courts. And then there was a whole period where dance was basically forbidden in Denmark because it went against the King's religious beliefs. It was politics that forced Bournonville to take an extensive leave of absence from Denmark, and those travels figure greatly in the both the themes and actual style of his ballets. Historically, Danish insularity has figured prominently in preserving the traditional Bournonville style, and the political awareness of the arts has preserved funding for performing arts in general.

Elsewhere, reduced funding due to economic and political issues (war, healthcare etc.) has meant limitations in performing arts. And history is full of dancers, choreographers, composers, artists who have immigrated due to political or economic reasons, and become well known. Like a certain young man named Georgi Melitonovitch Balanchivadze.

And then there's the whole issue of Cuba...and how the end of communism and the ensuing economic changes have affected the arts in both Cuba and Russia.

And on and on and on...

For this reason, perhaps it might be good to focus on a specific country/region or time period or art form...

Good luck!
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:52 pm 

Thank you both kate & Alex R...that link is particularly helpful.

On kate's point that my post has an endless amount of replies. I thought I might make it more specific.
How were the performing arts being affected by issues in say, greek or medieval times?

Any opinions on any eras greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Dancer246 xx xx xx

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]