public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: going from barre to centre on pointe
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:44 am 

Hey, i started pinte resently and by the second class i could do releves and rises en pointe in the centre! Sorry i had to tell someone... so now im working on piroette prep any helpful tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 am 

Hello, Me_h...Piroettes require a lot more strength than simple two foot eleve and releve. You should, of course, be working with your teacher on the progression of your pointe work. I believe that releves on both feet (rolling up through the feet without a spring) and releves on both feet (with a spring, sliding the toes) should be practiced a lot before thinking of doing a releve onto one foot, which a piroette would require. I would suggest bourrees, or walking on pointe or courus (little runs) for strengthening your feet. Variations of echappe are also something good to add as you will still be working on two feet. Also, add sous-sus, detourne...coupe piques to build strength transferring your weight onto one foot with a stretched (straight) leg. Releve to passe will prepare for eventual piroettes. Just don't be in too much of a hurry as pointe work should build slowly to avoid possible injury and to gain confidence. I'm glad that you are excited about your pointe classes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 pm 

Hi everyone. just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a pre-pointe and pointe syllabus that one could use in class? possibly that could be accessed on the internet? any previous threads that one has found useful in this forum? anyone like to share their pre-pointe through to pointe class exercise schedule?

Thanks too Gina for your most thoughful and precious advice. I always look forward to reading your answers,suggestions etc. and applying them to my own practices and classes. Yours sincerely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 pm 

Hello spangles...I always enjoy reading your thoughtful posts, and your input is very appreciated. A while back, Dean Speer posted this response (Structure for a Basic Pointe Class), which I printed out for my own reference. Perhaps you might find it helpful, too. http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#160863 I don't have my students use pre-pointe shoes (nor does the school for which I mostly teach) as I am not affiliated with the RAD training syllabus for which pre-pointe shoes are required. I do teach for another school which does use this syllabus, but I am the "free-style" teacher for the intermediate/advanced level. :wink: I believe that when a student is ready for pointe, basic pointe exercises in pointe shoes should be introduced for 10 minutes or so following technique class. Eventually, the student will be able to spend more time "on pointe" in a basic pointe class. Of course, there are varying methods and exercises for teaching pre-pointe and pointe, and I certainly respect this. For beginning pointe, my students spend most of the time at the barre executing similar exercises to Dean's class. I have them "walk" on pointe in the center forward and, then, backward. Bourrees are a good first "center" exercise. Glissades with a "brush" and/or a little "developpe" stepping up to fifth on pointe (roll down through the feet to fifth plie) are good, IMO. Echappes in second and when a bit stronger, include fourth, are good first center exercises.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:23 pm 

That means you're strong - and your teacher was correct by putting you on pointe. Don't overdo it just because you are able to have this strength. I know it's exciting but take it easy and concentrate on form as much as you can. Do a lot of eleves and roll through your foot just as Gina Ness said - those exercies are perfect. You'll be doing turns before you know it! I'm excited for you :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]