public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: MA courses
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:33 pm 

Well im new here so hello! :)

Just wondered if anyone was on an MA couse in England focussing on critical writing, and if so how are they finding it and whats the course like?

Just trying to make my mind up about what to do next year after the dance degree!

Will hopefully be combining it with some freelance dance work (teaching and performing), has anyone had any experience of trying to combine the two?

Thanks!

Amylo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:08 pm 

How will you make enough $$ to eat and pay rent?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:40 am 

I'll be living at home to save some money at first, but a also live with my boyfiend so things like that are split. Not worried about the money, we'll survive, just wondered if anyone had any info they'd like to share

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:21 am 

Hi amylo and welcome to CriticalDance.

The only course I am aware of is the MA in Arts Criticism at City University in London. however, this is more general and not dance specific:

http://www.city.ac.uk/pgrad/00000174.htm

I know that most university dance departments are concentrating on practise-based degrees. For instance, the Dance Studies course I followed at Laban, no longer exists.

Roehampton still has dance and ballet studies courses, but dance criticism doesn't seem to figure:

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/pg/dst/

If you have any others in mind, do share them with us.

Bear in mind that full-time course fees are £4000+ and part-time £2000+ per year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:00 pm 

Im thinking of doing the 'Culture Histories and Dance' MA at Surrey Uni (think thats what its called, or something similar). They seem to be one of the best of achedemic dance study. Im at Bretton Hall at the mo but unfortunately they only do Choreography as a Masters.

Hmm, they do cost alot, hence why I'm having to take a yr out to pay for it!! I guess you have to decide whether its beneficial in the long run.

My main query is how long i have to be there each week. If its only for a day or so each week then i'll be able to fit it in around teaching and freelance work if i can get some :roll:

Oh, and thanks for the welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:04 am 

Thanks for that tip, amylo - for other readers, details of the MA dance programme at Surrey can be found here:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/Dance/programmes.html

The MA Dance Cultures, Histories and Practices does look interesting. One thing to think about is what you do afterwards. If it is primarily for your interest then that's great. If it is a step to pursue an academic career in dance then that also makes sense.

However, in terms of helping to find a job writing about dance I am less convinced. For journalism or publishing, a more practical course may be better and paid dance reviewing jobs are few and far between. One dance writer, who is regularly published in the national press, expects to do less rather than more in the future, because of the dwindling space devoted to the Arts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:22 am 

To be completely honest i havnt thought that far ahead reguarding jobs! I just love writing and i love dance; i dont feel I 'know' enough to go straight into a job, what ever it may be in.

Its ashame and appauling really that the arts are suffering, having said that there is more and more dance research being carried out and apparently the funding in the north for dance projects is quite healthy at the moment.

I'll take it one step at a time. Now my goal is to get a good degree, then to do my MA. What comes along after that I dont know but I'm open to offers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 am 

Hi
I am currently on the MA Dance Cultures, histories etc at Surrey. I am half way through the year studying full time, which is two days a week
(these aren't always full days). The workload is heavy as you would expect, the work is really engaging and interesting. Moreover its up to date!

There is some opportunity to choreograph in modules suvh as Performing Theories and Site-Specific dance. However every module has a strong theoretical strand. There is also opportunity to be a teaching assistant, and there are lots of opportunities to get involved in lecturing and researching.

Please do not hesitate to ask me more questions, or email me direct and I will answer what I can!

Laura :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:43 am 

Welcome Laura and many thanks for your comments on this MA course at Surrey. Hope you continue to find it interesting and satisfying.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]