public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nutcracker question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:23 pm 

My younger sister who is 14 wants to be in a professional ballet company's production of the Nutcracker. She has missed this season, but wants to audition next year. She is entirely too old to play Clara, but perhaps she could get the part of a candy cane. Would she be too old for that part? What is the age requiremnts, does anyone know, or does it vary company to company? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:45 pm 

Hello ballerina91...Does your sister attend a school connected with a professional company? Most of the time, students' roles in The Nutcracker go to children attending the school, not by open audition. Within the school, there possibly could be an audition of sorts. It depends, I guess, on the company and production. At SFB, in the past when I was there, parts were assigned... no audition involved. They usually assign roles by age, size (got to fit into that costume!), length of study, and ability. If it is a production that advertises open auditions (this usually is NOT the case), she could just go and try and see what turns up. The experience might be good for her. You should do your homework regarding where she will be spending many rehearsal hours and with whom....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:07 am 

She attends a school that was reccomended to her by the school affilidated with the company. She saw an advertisement on our ballet school's bullitin board that said something about auditions being held for the company's production; that's what gave her the idea. The four qualifications were age, size, ability, and amount of study. Well, the only thing she'd have a problem with is the age factor, which is why I'm asking. Thank you for your help. I'll definately do some more digging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:54 pm 

Hi there...Well, that is great that the professional company has an affiliation with your sister's school and will give some of the students there an opportunity to perform. You could ask the director at your sister's school regarding the chances for your sister to perform as this director would probably have the knowledge of what's required for this particular production. When it comes time next year to audition, just check out when the auditions are happening (usually as early as September) and when her age group is slated to audition. Just the experience of auditioning will benefit her...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]