public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Starting Ballet .L.A.T.E.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:42 am 

Hello, my name is Emma Marie Ø, and I am seventeen years old.

I started Ballet when I was three, but was forced to quit a year later when my father started moving each year (Military). I really love the thought of taking classes again. And so I know you are never too old to take up ballet, but I must ask, does starting late have any major consequences? Things such as: never achieving the much desired arch or loosing chances at a career in Ballet.

Also, if this helps to know, I do Pilates often, so I'm very flexible, strong, and fit.

Thank you very much for your time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:59 am 

Hello, emahpie, and welcome! You certainly sound enthusiastic about dance! It is never too late to begin the study of ballet. Your study of pilates will certainly enhance your ballet training. Starting up again at age seventeen, it is doubtful that you would ever have a professional career with a major ballet company. But this doesn't mean that you will never have an opportunity to perform. There are many opportunities to dance and perform... possibly with your school or perhaps with the theater program at your local high school or college. Just begin by taking as many classes as you can, and see where this journey takes you. Good luck and above all, enjoy what you do! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:13 am 

Thank you Gina. I loved your advice and found it very helpful. It doesn't matter much for me to go professional because just dancing alone is just fine for me. Thank you again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:46 pm 

Emahpie, Gina is right about performing. I too started late, but got many opportunities.

Developing your arches is a whole nother ballgame. All I can say is, all arches can be improved, but some will never be perfect. The main thing is, take care, be gentle with them, give them time, and who knows. But don't force them too far or too fast. The worst (well, almost!) thing that can happen to you right now is being side-lined with an injury.

Good luck. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]