public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm I just jealous?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:49 pm 

There is a girl who came to my ballet class yesterday. I hung out with her for a short period of time in school(we are both 14). Anyway, I think I am jealous because she is en pointe. When we were at the barre, I noticed she doesn't have good turnout, she can't stand in a releve with out being wobbly, and she falls out of her turns when she is not in pointe shoes. When I can do all of that stuff. She came from a different ballet school though. I'm am not sure if she is going to be in our class though. I'm In pre-pointe. I was told I probably won't start pointe till next year. I'm I jealous or do I have a point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:10 pm 

Balletenbarre, when someone else has something that we want very much, it's natural to feel a little envious.

When your teacher feels you're strong enough to go en pointe, you'll be able to do so safely. Until then, just concentrate on being the best dancer you can be.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:22 pm 

The reason that my teacher won't put me en pointe, is because only like 3 of us girls are ready, and I don't think she wants to hurt the other girls feelings. Also Shouldn't technique be a factor? I mean she can balance on ballet flats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:53 am 

Your teacher will know best when you should be put en pointe. I would hope that she would advance each student according to their being ready and not because she didn't want to hurt feelings.

My best advice in this instance is to worry and work on your own technique. Use your energy to work on getting stronger so that your teacher will have no reason not to put you en pointe.
:)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:27 pm 

Totally agree with the other points. Take comfort in the fact that when you start pointe you will be absolutely ready for it with good technique and placing and will therefor be a much better dancer.

By the sounds of it your friend will struggle en pointe and could also end up with injuries or problems later on. You, hopefully, will not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:05 pm 

Well balletenbarre, I have almost the exact opposite problem. There is a new girl in my ballet class who is exactly my age. We are both on pointe and even though I am better in the shoes than she is, she is more advanced in the center in slippers. I too often feel twinges of jealousy. It is just natural, I suppose. What I did was turn my jealousy into something constructive. I am a very competitive girl, so a new girl motivated me to do better. I used to be like, well, I have prettier port de bras, but I don't anymore. I think that's petty, and I try to just focus on me. Picking on someone else to make yourself feel better isn't going to help. I know girls who should not be on pointe. But life is not always fair. You can either pout about it and be petty or you can use these incidents to your advantage.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]