public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What are my chances?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:41 pm 

I am 14 and I started ballet just last year. I started prepointe in december and now I am in the second half of my 1st year of it. I am so exicted about starting pointe next september, but I feel way behind. I am the only ninth grader in my class, and all the rest of the girls my age are at least on their second year of pointe. I am not sure how ever if my teacher will let me apprentice in my junior year because of my lateness and of my body type. I am 5'1 and I weigh 120 pounds. I am also one of two best dancers in my class though. My teacher says I am one of her best students, which is saying something because she used to be a principle with ABT. Any way, What is the chance I will become a pro-dancer in a company?

Sorry, It's so long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:40 pm 

So many people in your situation ask that question, but it's difficult to answer --- impossible for us, since we cannot see you dance. If you like to dance, then you should keep working on it. If you don't like to dance, then all the chances in the world of a professional career still won't be enough to make you want to stick it through.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:22 pm 

If you love dancing, dont' give up. I agree with citibob. While you may feel behind- I always did too because i started very late- hard work and determination and concentration will catch you up. Don't focus on what you can't do, or what other people can do, focus on your process and making yourself the best dancer you can be. While there is no guarantee that anyone will become a ballerina in the end, as alot of different factors go into it, you won't know unless you try. My teacher was a soloist with NYCB her entire career and she didn't start dancing until she was 13. Body type, talent, work ethic, and luck all play a part, but keep dancing if you love it. There are so many kinds of dance out there and many of them require a strong ballet base. (I am a modern dancer)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]