public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance class activities
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:55 am 

Hi everyone, I was sitting in/helping out with a ballet class at my studio not too long ago and it was younger students between the age of 5-8.
I noticed that by the end of a half hour class, some of the students were losing their concentration and becoming "fidgety."

I was just wondering, does anyone know of any dance related games/activities etc that can be used with younger dance students, maybe 5 minutes at the end of the class, which will encourage dance knowledge but still be fun!! :D

I'd like to know just for future reference for when I have my own dance school...heehee!!

Any ideas, opinions & tips are very much welcome.
Love dancer246 xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:03 am 

Hi there! Sometimes, using a "prop" can be something a little different and fun for them. They could "make up dances" using scarves (always popular!)...or, I used to have some balls (beach ball size) that we would practice bouncing in time to the music. Have them try skipping and bouncing a ball at the same time, in time to the music. They really liked this one, too! Have them make rhythms using a tambourine, like doing emboites and tambourine taps simultaneously. I used to have the students do this(emboites with tambourine) one at a time from the corner. When they had traveled all the way to the downstage corner of the studio, I had them turn 180 degrees around, run back shaking the tambourine, and then hand it to the next person in line. Good luck! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:05 am 

Thanks Gina, I think using such simple things as scarves will just add that something different and interesting to the lessons. Thanks xx

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]