public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: No beginner modern classes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:07 am 

I don't have any lofty aspirations to be a professional dancer, but I do love to dance and have some basic ballet experience (my background is a gymnast - now I mainly do yoga but would really love to get back into dance again). I've noticed that there seem to be a lack of basic/beginner modern classes...all of them seem to start at the intermediate level. Does this mean that I'll have to progress first in ballet in order to take them? To be quite honest, ballet is not my "thing" and I would really like to get into some modern techniques, but I just don't know where to take classes. Any ideas? (I live in NYC by the way.)

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:31 pm 

I believe the Limon Institute at Peridance has some beginner classes in the middle of the day. But only Intermediate in the evenings.

You should talk to the teacher beforehand and take a trial class, then see if it's something you can work on productively in the Intermediate class.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:58 pm 

Also try Dancespace. I know they have beginning Simonson technique there- Simonson is a modern/jazz, very lyrical and really 'dancey'- quite beautiful and I find it really enjoyable to do. Also, check out Ballet Arts at City Center. They have a few beginning modern classes I believe, or at least they did in the winter. Hope that helps.

Post subject: hey!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:37 pm 

hey there -
thanks for your reply on the other thread.

if you want to go take class sometime, i will be in nyc and wanting to tear up the town -- starting with beginner classes because i am scared of DANCING IN NEW YORK CITY, capital letters, when i am from fat far away. ;) i am staying with friends, but not dance friends, and always like taking class with someone else i know there.

email me if you want: mizfederow at veryspeedy dot net. :)

-ariel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:04 am 

Ari,

Enjoy your time in NYC. There are many interesting opportunities here. But you don't need to be intimidated. If you have quality professional training in Seattle, then you will find that you can keep up in New York. And there is much mediocre dancing in NYC, just like everywhere else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 pm 

I just took a beginning modern class tonight at the Mark Morris Dance Center here in Brooklyn. It's every Wed. from 7p-8:15p.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:01 pm 

Was it any good? How "beginner" was it? Did they ask for prior ballet experience or anything like that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:57 pm 

Ari, the dancers you'll meet in class here are just like the dancers you'll meet elsewhere.

...Only more so.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]