public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Slippy Shoes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:13 am 

My dance school recently did a festival where we had to wear Capezio, New yorker, shoes..
We found the stage to be so slippy and this was made worse by our shoes meaning the routine was not at its best.

Anyway, does anyone have any good tips for gaining more grip on your shoes?
Thanks xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:00 pm 

Hi dancer246...What is the surface of your floor? That would make a difference as to what to use to help the slipping. Is it wood? or Marley?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:09 am 

It was wood and it was in a school/village hall venue so I wasn't expecting it to be specially prepared for dancers, but it could've been better with more grip on our shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:04 pm 

Wood floors can be very slippery. I totally emphathize with you about how uncomfortable it is do dance on a slippery surface. I know that sometimes a facility will not want anything done to their floor, even if it makes the dancers more safe. But if it is okay to put something on the floor, there are a few things you could do. First of all, there is good ole rosin. Either lightly on your shoes and/or a light dusting of it on the wood surface. Another thing we used to do when I was younger and traveling around performing (this before marley flooring was so popular) was to damp mop Coca Cola on the wood surface. This really helped with the traction and could be mopped up after the show. Another thing to try is just plain water...damp mop a bit before you go on stage and it does help a bit, too. Do you remember the watering cans sitting around in some of the paintings of the ballet from long ago? This is what they were there for! You might also post this question in the "Backstage" forum. Someone might see it there that has some additional (perhaps more modern!) suggestions.

Last edited by Gina Ness on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:43 pm 

Thanks so much...that helps a lot !

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]