public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Question: UCI
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:37 pm 

I'm applying to University of California Irvine and University of California, Riverside as a dance major. Of course, I have to audition to get into either of those programs. Unfortunately, because I've had little formal Ballet training ( about two years in total from the time I was about nine until now) and none in Jazz/Modern/Lyrical I'm afraid that I won't get in, even though quite a few people, mostly dance teachers have told me that I am incredibly gifted in both my technique and choreographic skills formal training or lack therof. I want to emerge from College with a B.F.A in Dance performance and end up choreographing for a small company or teaching dance at a school or in my own studio.

Can anyone help me with answering the following questions?

1.) What are these programs strengths and weaknesses? What dance forms do they focus on?

2. How hard is it to get accepted?

3. What dance classes should I take in the next year and a half ( The UCI audition is going to be in January 2006 for entry to the College in the Fall of 2006 and so will the UCR audition) to that I am adequately prepared for these auditions?

4. I was thinking of taking a daily Ballet class ( Every day except Sunday) Jazz Classes 4 times a week and Modern Classes twice a week. Would this be suitable for what I am trying to do?

Thank you in advance!

Marquita

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another Question: UCI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:22 am 

marquita,

i currently go to ucr and am double majoring in biomed and dance. ucr definitely focuses on the modern technique. as far as classes go, there are modern, tap, sometimes ballet, and always a great selection of ethnic styles. last quarter we even had a contact improvisation class.

it seems to me that they arent only interested in people with a strong background and superb technique. the whole program is designed to open the students' eyes to the whole world of dance and allow that to spark their creativity. they then have the ability to create and explore new dimensions of dance. plus ucr has a masters program in dance, so you take technique classes alongside the grad students.

i love the dance faculty at ucr. they are always so helpful and truly care about the students. many times a professor or teacher has gone out of their way to help me or offer encouragement.

now i cant really say much about uci's program, but from what i have heard, its based more on classical technique, the ballet and jazz. riverside has no jazz classes. both are very good programs, it just depends on what you want to study.

wow this is a really long post... if you have any more questions about ucr, i'll be happy to answer them.

take care, and keep dancing : )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:28 am 

I don't know too much about those programs, but I did want to give you a little bit of good news. If you do not get in on your auditions, you can always attend the school, get permission to take some of their beginning or intermediate level classes, and then re-audition the next semester or year. This will give you a chance to be known by the faculty, and be more aquainted with the styles and techniques used there.
Another option is to simply find another school to go to. Audition several places, and then see what you have to pick from. If you didn't get into the schools you wanted, go into another one, take a year for intensive study, and then re-audition for the ones you wanted and try to transfer.
Best of luck to you!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:26 am 

Thank you so much for your advice.
You know, I grew up off of Canyon Crest Drive in Riverside, so I am familiar with the general aspects of the college.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]