CriticalDance Forum

Trying to remember a term . . .
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Tzigane [ Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Trying to remember a term . . .

I was in class the other day and my teacher gave us an exercise, and I was wondering if anyone knew the proper French name for it. It was basically a developpe (sp?) except instead of lowering the working leg to the floor after it was extended, we brought the leg back in to passe (retire) and lowered it to the ground from there. I hope that made sense.

My teacher just called them reverse developpes. Is there a proper term for them?

Author:  mehunt [ Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trying to remember a term . . .

It sounds a little like what one of my old teachers called enveloppé. But I think it's also called "retiré" (that term meaning an action, rather than a place.)

Author:  Gina Ness [ Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trying to remember a term . . .

I was thinking the same thing. I've always called this enveloppe, too...but when I thought I would double check the term in Gail Grant's manual, enveloppe sounded like something very different. I often use this in rond de jambe a terre combinations during barre. Now, I'm curious!

Author:  Andre Yew [ Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trying to remember a term . . .

My teachers call that an enveloppe, too. They use retire to mean bringing the leg into high passe, whether it comes from the ground, or from an extended leg.

edit: I wanted to add that the barre combination I remember for this is something like pas de cheval from fifth, 1 or 2 piques (tap the toes on the floor), enveloppe back into fifth, done en croix or front-back-side, usually done to very fast music. Uggh.


<small>[ 08 April 2005, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Andre Yew ]</small>

Author:  spangles [ Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trying to remember a term . . .

hi there. agree with all the above. it does sound like an eveloppe or reverse developpe. which method of dance do you learn?

Author:  Tzigane [ Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Trying to remember a term . . .

I study ballet. I've never heard of retire being used in that sense, but enveloppe sounds about right.

Author:  bipp1 [ Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have just read this topic. The right term in French is "raccourci". Some teachers call it enveloppé, but this word is normally used for astep that begins often in second position and then you enveloppe your leg to go on a turn on two legs. It's the opposite of a détourne, wich is an "en dehors" turn on two feet. Oh I'm sorry, my english is awful, I think I should maybe explain it in french or in spanish!

Author:  Dean Speer [ Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Enveloppé is a term I can concur with here, although with my students, I'd probably use "retiré" in this case, as I like to think of enveloppé as being initiated first by a brush, the leg being extended first (but not by unfolding).

One of my favorite combinations is to give alternate pas de chevals and enveloppés. Something like: pas de cheval, enveloppé twice en croix. or to do four of each and then reverse. At first in two counts and then in one count. It makes for great quick and supple footwork. :wink:

Author:  bipp1 [ Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:58 am ]
Post subject: 

It's very interesting to see how a term can be used in different ways. It depends of the schools and the countries. I can help you with French school, and you all can teach me about the others . I think many terms are different, for example whats is for you a dégagé? What is the difference with a tendue? A tour jeté is for french teachers a grand jeté en tournant, wich is a bit different of an entrelacé.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group