public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance and social inclusion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:40 am 

Does anyone have any experiences they are willing to share relating to the above topic. I am researching how dance can help students with learning / behavioural problems and would love to hear others' experiences.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance and social inclusion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:51 pm 

Hi there. Just to set the scenario. I once had a student who was physically 12 years of age but mentally 7 years of age who was placed into a class of 12-15 year olds.(probably because no one knew what to do with her which is very sad I think). I for one refused to treat her like a 7 year old as other teachers at the studio did and I could tell that she appreciated this as she could see that I saw her as an equal to her classmates and not just someone that has been placed in a class purely because of her age. Mentally I taught the class as I would 7 year olds so that she could understand and amazingly enough the other students actually learnt more this way to. In the same instance to stimulate their growth we always followed up each and every lesson with an age appropriate handout of whichever subject was discussed at the time. (Interesting to note - I did not in anyway simplify any of the technical work presented - this particular student adored the challenge no matter how well or how poorly she perormed - I would give her 100% for concentration and effort).I am so lucky to have such beautiful and loving students because even though they were so young themselves, they embraced this particular student by the heart and the hand and helped her in class and also with the homework etc. I think just the fact that this particular student was treated as an equal, socially included and treated as a 12 year old should be treated, she actually shone in the subject of ballet. (She also demonstated a lot of love towards me also which makes it all the more worthwhile). Hope this story is of some help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:54 am 

I had a long-time student who traveled to our studio several times/week over 60 miles to take class and work w/our performing company. She credits her success in college to her ballet training. Said that it helped give her a work ethic and self-discipline. And, she still loves ballet to this day. She is a teacher herself now, of Spanish, in the Vancouver (Washington) area school district.

For many, dance gives them structure, a place to focus themselves, and sometimes a "safe" place to be. I've had a few students whose backgrounds were difficult at best and it seems that dance class and being at the studio were among their happiest things during each week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:10 pm 

Hi guys. Dean, that is exactly what I am about. I want to be able to open a dance studio that has a main focus on children from difficult backgrounds. I agree from my own experience, no matter how bad things are outside the studio, once in that studio, all is forgotten momentarily and one is transported to a completely different world. One then exits the studio with a completely different outlook and things appear to be not quite so bad. (personal experience only though ). Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:51 am 

Hi
I'm currently researching for my disatasion and was interested when i came across this - i'm looking at using dance as a tool for inclusion - spefically lokking at people with learning disabilities. If anyone has experience in this area i would really appreciate any advise you have.
Cheers

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]