public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:43 pm 

Today after jazz, as I was tying my shoes, my teacher came over to me and asked me if I was waiting a year to try out company. I told her yes, and she goes, "Why?" So I told her about my wanting to take a year of ballet and she said that she wants me to try out this year! As in, a month! Image Image Image<BR>Lori said that they were losing a jazz teacher so there was going to be a lot of switching around and she told me that now was the best time to try out. She also told me that it didn't matter that I wouldn't have any ballet training,cause she thought I was good enough to make it! My mom said she'd think about it, but I think she'll let me! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! So wish me luck! I let you all know what happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:46 pm 

GOOD LUCK!! <P>hehehehehe I wish you good luck I think from what your other post said you should do great! Image Image Image <P>------------------<BR>*Lil Ballerina* <BR> ~Keep on Dancin!~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:23 pm 

<B>Athena - LOTS OF LUCK!!!</B><P>Be sure to tell us what happens!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:20 am 

GOOD LUCK! Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:51 am 

Athena, just when you have your plan of action all worked out, something happens to change it... But this is a very exciting thing! Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:00 pm 

EEEEEEE!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Break a leg!! (isn't that what we say?) Good Luck! Tell us how it goes. And your teacher is right. you don't really need ballet for jazz. God Bless!<P>KIm <P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because fo their passion -- Martha Graham<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:06 pm 

Just an update:<P>I've offerd to pay for the audition fee <BR>(50$) and do extra chores, and from the way my mom's talking I think she's leaning towards yes! She said she'll decide some time next week. YAY! Image I'm going to continue my swimming laps everyday, and instead of stretching 4 or 5 times a week, I'm going to stretch every day, that way when auditions come, I'll be stronger and limber!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:12 pm 

Obviously Athena has achieved a high level of proficiency in jazz, without having studied ballet, as she has been asked to audition for the company. That's quite an honor!<P>I do feel, however, that ballet is an excellent foundation for other types of dance, including jazz. At the studio where I teach, company members must study ballet at least twice a week, even if that is not their primary dance focus. <P>How do the rest of you feel about this? What are the requirements for participation in dance companies at your schools?<P>And, even as this discussion may unfold, I just want to acknowledge where the thread started, and to once again let Athena know our good thoughts are with her!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:41 pm 

Thanks so much Nancy! I'm stil a teeny bit unsure of myself, but I think I'm up to it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:49 pm 

At my dance school, they started making the jazz students take ballet. They had a class called "ballet for jazz dancers" but eventually, many of those students jumped right into the intermediate and advanced ballet classes. One even got to be Snow White in our story ballet, and many others got solo parts. They improved at ballet really quickly. <P>So, Athenacait, good luck! And when you do start ballet, I bet you'll be great at that, too. Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 7:12 pm 

:-D<BR>They said yes!!!! My parents said yes!!! My dad said it rather gudingly (he doesn't think dance should be a way of life, and I think my wanting to join company dashed all of his hopes of me becomeing a lawyer and setting him into an early retirement! Image ) But they still said I could try out, so long as I use money from my bank account to pay the audition fee. To celebrate my aunt, my mom, my grandma, and I went shopping. (well we didn't do it to celebrate, but we still celebrated there) Anyway, my aunt bought my a daily planner to keep organized and the cutest, handiest, most Martha-rific makeup bag ever! It's just the right size, and has a handle, making it easy to carry. Whew! What a sugar buzz! I'm soooooo excited! <BR>Now I have to get to work on stretching and swiming, 'cause I only have till August first!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 10:38 pm 

Athenacait, that's so cool! congratulations!<P> Image katheryn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 7:13 am 

Whoops! It's not August 1st, it's August 13th. Even better!<P>There seems to be some confusion about the company. The company at Dazzle (the studio where I dance at) does all three. The girls (and one guy. He's so cute! He's like, 7 Ithink..) do ballet, tap, and jazz. Sometimes they do lyricle, but that's only sometimes. That's why I wanted a year of ballet in. That way I'd have 3 years of tap, 2 years of jazz, and 1 year of ballet. But that's okay, cause MY PARENTS SAID I COULDD TRY OUT!!!!!! Whew! Still hyper.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]