CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sinking in the Hip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:04 am 

I'm having a difficult time feeling the difference between sinking into my right hip, and being squarely placed on it. A big flaw in my technique is a tendency to pull away from my standing leg. Now I'm trying to be very aware of it a place myself correctly on the standing leg.

I'm getting the feeling fine on the left leg. Very square, pulled up on the outside of the hip, I can feel rotation, looseness in my working leg. All is good on the left. On the right side however, it is *very* painful to pull up correctly. I don't want to sit into that hip, but it's impossible to pull up, because it hurts so much. Like there's something strange about the way I'm built on that side. I can either sit into it, or I pull away from it. And I absolutly can't hold any rotation either without pain.

Has anyone encountered this before, either in yourselves or in one of your students? I know it's tough without seeing me, but it's something that really bothering me. It's not a new problem either...always been the case. I wonder if it's something that I can gradually build up strength with, or if it's something I'll have to work around. sad sad hip. thanks.

Post subject: Re: Sinking in the Hip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:10 pm 

This may not help at all,but i'll give it a go. Maybe bring the working leg a little more to the front,still side,but a tad more front than normal. Really think of roating from under your thigh and really use your center to pull you up,so that your are not pinching/sitting on either side. HTH

<small>[ 25 April 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Danseur ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:15 pm 

Danseur,
It's a good suggestion. My teacher actually advocates doing extensions to the side this way--until turnout is fully developed. She likes the "heel forward" look, and it works very very well on a lot of her dancers.

My problem is actually even more fundamental. Even just STANDING on that leg will do it. Tendu, foot in coupe, retire, doesn't matter. It's the placement itself that gives me trouble. By trouble, I mean that "correct" placement hurts my standing hip too much to maintain.

<small>[ 25 April 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: lampwick ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:18 pm 

I think you should see a doctor. Also, if you can do it before Monday, please read the e-mail I sent you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:34 pm 

Citibob,
I'll reply to your email.

I don't really have a hip problem though. It's not something that ever bothers me in "normal" life, or while I'm dancing. I think it may be a structural limitation, not an injury.

As I said, it isn't a new thing. Back in the day, when I danced all the time, I was still never able to really feel lifted on my supporting side on the right.

I was wondering if anyone had encountered anything like this before. I'm not convinced a doctor could find anything "wrong" with me. I'm trying to figure out if I should try and work around the problem. Is it possible to compensate for a limitation, and still have adequate technique?

Maybe there's some fancy dance doctor I could go to which could pinpoint the problem, but the thought of an Xray to my pelvic region is not appealing. I don't like getting potentially dangerous radiation and risking my future child's health for a technique issue in ballet class :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:44 am 

I had this problem for a long time, when I returned to dance after a couple of years' break... It was very difficult to have correct placement on the right hip, and pulling this side vertically, without the left leg going all over the place. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:35 am 

he he. :D No I'm not pregnant right now. I'd be a lot more forgiving on myself with my technique if I were...Guess it sounded that way though...

Yesterday in class felt a lot better. Last week was the magic week I think, I'm not getting as sore anymore after class. I think my hip structure is just a little "off". But I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:56 am 

balletowoman--I'm just curious. Was pulling up your hip correctly always a problem for you--or do you think your time off from ballet was the only factor? Did you ever reach a point where that side is as comfortable as the other, or is pulling out of that hip always something you need to be conscious of?

I've always felt very asymmetrical in my body. It's funny--my face is a bit asymmetrical as well. Of course, everyone is. But I think I may be a bit more so.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]