public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Pliés and the Knees......
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:14 pm 

Well, I didn't have knee surgery but I suppose surgery in general would be enough to satisfy just about any teacher Image<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:21 pm 

LOL - Maggie - what a barre I have created for myself.<P>Misa.....I usually don't say anything. I just do two demi pliés. If I am asked, I will say "I need to do this for my knees". It does take a bit (ok more than a bit) of courage. At this point in my dance life - no one argues with me - because of my age, and I am rather "known" in the community. I don't know how else to put that (there goes my rep for being articulate).<P>However, when this first happened I was often denigrated by the teachers, or they felt it was a challenge. I tried many ways, explaining carefully before class, explaining quietly only when asked. And, I have to admit it was a test of courage. But actually, there was no other way. My knees were just too important....far more important than any teacher trying to force me through intimidation. <P>It can also be a window into the teacher's psyche. A really responsible teacher will not feel challenged, will not insist, will not want you to do anything harmful. In the end you are the guardian of your own body - that's the bottom line. You have to live with the results, not the teacher.<P>ok - Maggie...now do I get a mint?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:41 pm 

Thank you Basheva. I think I will follow your example and quietly go about my business unless asked. Image <P>and someone please enlighten me as to how one uses the accent commands on a Mac! I want to be able to spell my terms correctly!<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:45 pm 

How true about the window in the teacher's psyche. I have been fortunate in that I've never been challenged about my approach to plies after my knee surgery. Or even if I didn't state that I had had surgery. It astonishes me that these people could actually be teachers with so much disregard.<P>Basheva, you can have two mints! And Misa, I can't help you with the accents. I have the reputation of being the computer tech dummy here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:53 pm 

That is encouraging to hear Maggie! Image Anyone else on the Mac computer commands for accent marks?<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 5:32 pm 

Sorry, Misa - I don't have a MAC. I have a Leonard though......will that do?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 5:40 pm 

well I can at least try! Do share! Image Thanks!<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 9:21 pm 

i *think* to get the accents on a mac (at least, to get them normally), you go control-e for an accent aigu (the one that gets higher as you go from left to right) and then type the letter (vowel) you want the accent over. <P>however, i thought that was what worked for PCs too and it doesn't seem to in a web browser. <P>so i know that's only halfway helpful, but i *know* that's how you do it in word processors....<P>--ari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:21 am 

umm...i don't know if this will work, but to make é, just hold the alt. key while you type 130. for a â, type 131.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3