public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: manners/ dance protocol
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:55 am 

I just had to smile when i read this thread. one time when my class was doing center work, i hid in the back, because the class was a bit hard for me. my teacher saw me following the others and warned me, if i didn't stop following the others, he would put me up front. well guess where i ended up. that's right! in the front row!! LOL but once i was there, i was forced to concentrate on the routine, and i found myself learning more. now i always go to the front row, and if i don't know the routine, i ask the teacher to call it out for me. i've learned that if i ask for help, the teacher is more than eager to help. if they're not willing to help me, then i don't need to be in their class. i've also learned that no matter how hard it is, i will always try it. it gives me a sense of accomplishement when i try. i may not look very graceful though lol. i think the most important thing is to remember you are a beginner, so you're not going to have the moves down perfectly, so just do the best you can. and i never try to please my teacher, i try to please me. i find that less stressful. i know that one day i'll finally figure this stuff out, and then i'll look good. but for now, i'm just learning and that's ok. <BR>kim <P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because of their passion -- Martha Graham<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:13 am 
Thanks for the additional comments guys....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:14 am 

The one thing in class that would really annoy me more than almost anything else, was pushy dancers, who think they have a right more than anyone else and to claim more space than anyone else.<P>I am always glad to share space, always responded to "please", "excuse me" etc., but there are some dancers/people who have never learned those words. I don't respond well to being pushed. <P>I think in dance class the words "please", "thank you", "excuse me", "may I?".....should be used often, just like in daily life.<P>There is a protocol about saying thank you. <P>When you are finished rehearsing or dancing with a partner it is tradition, as well as good manners, to always say "thank you".<P>It is always good manners and tradition to say a group thank you to the teacher with a reverence, and applause. And then an individual "thank you" to the teacher.<P>It is always good manners to extend that reverence, applause to the pianist. And then an individual "thank you".<P>If someone in the class helped you, always remember to thank that person again after class.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2