public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pilates Mat workout
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:25 pm 

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Pilates mat workout. I Don't understand if this is a type of "prerequiste" before you begin using the equipment? Is it just as beneficial as the equipment? From what I read about it, It seems to remind me of things you would do in yoga, is there a difference?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilates Mat workout
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:07 pm 

Salima - I can't help you - but Maggie who teaches Pilates, can answer your questions. There are others who know also - I believe Marie would know and perhaps Trina.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:07 am 

Salima, I am not a registered Pilates teacher, but I have been taking Pilates classes for just over seven years now. From my understanding, mat work in not a prerequisite for the equipment. I find it just as beneficial as the work on the equipment but I find I can push myself a little more on the equipment in terms of establishing greater range of extension and of course the springs can provide more resistance than your own body does. Some of the positions in mat class look like what you would see in Yoga, but there are some fundamental differences which I think Maggie can better address. I *love* the mat work, I use it as a warm up before performing, and I do it 3-4 times a week in combination with some of Ron Fletcher's towel work. (www.ronfletcherwork.com). I wish I had found Pilates mat work earlier as a dancer--it's the kind of thing you can do in a smallish space when you're freaking out that you won't be warm and ready to go--either on stage or to do an audition, etc. (not that I ever freak out...lol)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:33 am 

I know all about that "freak out" business - and once ended up giving myself a warm-up barre before a performance outside on the loading platform of the theater.<P>Fortunately, this being San Diego, it was not cold or windy outside. But loading platforms are not ideal places for warm-ups - LOL. There was a rail there, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 4:32 pm 

my older daughter has just started doing some Pilates. She takes private lessons, as there aren't any mat classes for her age right now. In her privates she does a mix of matwork and work on the equipment. She has to work really hard, but agrees that it is GOOD work. Hopefully she will be able to follow-through with some of the matwork when she goes back to school in a few weeks. I am impressed with what she has been able to do in a short period of time, and we are lucky that we have found good instructors.<P>There are a number of young local elite skaters who also do Pilates...I imagine that you could successfully introduce matwork at a younger age than you could the other (bodies probably have to be a certain size to get things to work right).<P>From the little I've seen so far, some of the basics that you learn on the mat are essential to using the equipment properly...after you have developed a certain level of proficiency perhaps you wouldn't need the mat as part of a private lesson, as you could do it on our own? Not sure here, just surmising.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]