public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strange Pain in Foot
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:15 pm 

Hey all! Ok if this isn't allowed on this board, just delete it ok, but I have a question regarding a pain I noticed in my foot last eve. When I was driving home after ballet, I noticed a like pain or tension in the tendon on my right foot where the leg bends into the foot, and well this is quite a drive, and I was thinking maybe it's due to the position of the foot on the gas pedal? make any sense? or could I have hurt it? but I will say it only hurt me driving and then for alil bit when I got home and now it dont' bother me.. sooooo does anyone have any good exercises I can do before getting in the car after ballet? and has anyone else experienced this while driving?<P>Thanks all!<BR>Jan<BR><P>------------------<BR>Teaching Today Touches Tomorrow!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Strange Pain in Foot
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:23 am 

Jan - is this the same foot that you tripped on at work? If it is you probably need to rest it more - it probably hasn't had time to heal.<P>You surely should get it checked by your doctor. <P>You should also check your shoes, both your ballet slippers and your regular everyday shoes. Sometimes when one starts to dance, the shape of the foot changes and this can necessitate checking the fit of shoes - ALL SHOES. You don't want to cramp your feet.<P>And it never hurts to elevate it and rest it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:34 am 

You might also want to try using a different shoe while recovering from your previous injury. After I injured myself, I wore a shoe with a little heel (they're sometimes called "teaching sandals" - the Capezio ones I had were called "Pedinis" I think?) - they're as flexible as ballet shoes but have a little .5 inch heel that can relieve that pain. Sometimes standing flat-foot can put strain on an injury.<P>Also, perhaps you are sitting too close to the steering wheel - try setting the seat back further so you have to stretch your foot a bit more in order to touch the pedals. And if you ever drive with high-heels on, that can also cause quite a stabbing pain!<p>[This message has been edited by Bree (edited May 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 6:57 am 

Thanks all for this great advice, I'll take this all into consideration, hmm bree I have heard of these sandals you meantion, these are used in dance? are they like ballet slippers?<P>Also Basheva, you meantion that your feets change when dancing, can elaborate on this more? I think this is a good quest and actually I'll just create a new thread for it ok! cuz I'm interested how dancing affects the shape and what not of our feets?<P>*hugs*<BR>Jan<P>------------------<BR>Teaching Today Touches Tomorrow!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 8:36 am 

The shoes that Bree is talking about are made by Capezio - and maybe others too. You can see them in the Capezio catalogue. But before buying them I would certainly check with your teacher first. <P>As for driving with high heels on - I never do that. I also drive in my tennies, and then just slip on my heels when I get out of the car. First of all driving with heels ruins the shoes - makes a mark on the sides of the heel. Also I often think if something happens to the car and I have to walk - I don't want to be in heels. So I always drive in tennies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 1:00 pm 

Yes, this often happens to me after class. It was diagnosed last week as tendonitis. I mashed my right foot about 9 months ago while flubbing a grand jete. My foot and ankle were xrayed, but no fractures were found. Although I stopped taking class for about a month, it didn't do much good, and the pain persists.<P>A physical therapist is designing special stretches for me. I'll keep you posted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 1:43 pm 

I have had tendonitis in the past and I found it to be truly sensitive to tight fitting shoes. That's something to really check. In fact that is how I got it - with shoes that fit too tightly.<P>Tendonitis can be chronic. Do tell us how you are doing TwoRightFeet.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]