public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 9:13 pm 

I am a 14 year old boy. I would love to start taking ballet, tap, and any type of dance. I am worried first of the price ot cost to take lessons and secondly that I am too old seeing as the fact I am as stiff as board. What I am to do? I have always been interested in dance but wonder if it is for me. Can you help me?

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:00 am 

DanceHopeful, first of all, welcome! We are glad that you have joined us. And it's exciting to hear of your interest in dance.<P>You may wish to start by doing a little research. Check to see what dance schools are in your area and give them a call. You can find out if they have boys' classes, or classes with boys and girls studying together. You can also gather schedules and rate information. Some schools may offer scholarship assistance.<P>As for it being too late, we have many contributors who started dancing when they were much older than you are. Once your dance studies are underway, you can determine, with the help of your teachers, what your potential is and what goals to set for yourself. <P>Again, a warm welcome, DanceHopeful. Good luck as you get started, and let us know how you are doing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:25 am 

Let me add my warm welcome to Nancy's, DanceHopeful!! It's great to have you join us.<P>You are certainly not too old to start ballet classes - I started much older than you and several other people here have also started rather late - several of them, men. So you are in good company.<P>Nancy's idea of shopping around for different studios is a great idea. You might also consider checking out whether there are ballet classes at a YMCA near you, or city recreation dept. That would probably be less expensive. Also many studios give boys scholarships. I have also known many who help out around the studio and pay for their lessons in that way.<P>As for being stiff "as a board" - many, many people start out that way. That shouldn't stop you - the ballet will give you increased flexibility and help you in all the rest of your athletic activities.<P>So, find a good teacher - and go for it!! Let us know what happens - and please ask us any questions that you have. Lots of luck to you!!<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:07 am 

Go for it Dancehopeful! I have a good male friend that started Ballet at age 43!! And he was stiff also, but gets more flexible every time I see him.He loves it. If you have never had dance before, a good idea may be to make sure you enter a true beginners class, at least at first, to learn the basics and have other beginners in class also. Some of the beginning and beg/int classes are made up of people that have been dancing for a long time. Ballet is hard, a good challenge. It can help to have people who know what they are doing to follow.Also tap is fun and hip hop is all the rage and there are lots of boys in hip hop, which takes an amazing amount of coordination and isolations. This is how my 43 year old friend started dance.Try to take at least 2 times a week if you can, the more classes the faster you will see improvement.Keep us posted!enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:54 am 

go for it. i started at 36 years old, and i just love it!!! you'll get flexible as time goes on. have fun!!<BR>kim kouski<P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because of their passion -- Martha Graham<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:07 am 

*grins* 14 year old boy wanting to dance? Image Yay!!!! lol. Sorry. I'm extreamly boy crazy, and I want to try partner danceing, but here in the conservative midwest, the only boy in the company is about7. Acctually, I'm probably the right size for him. *short* Anyway, please join dance. We could use a few more male dancers in our little online comunity. Don't worry about being flexible. At the begining of last year I couldn't even touich my toes! *rereads the post* *sigh* Please excuse this lasst post. I'm a little (okay a lot) insane and right now I'm really hyper.<P>------------------<BR>Smooches and Pooches!<P>~Athena<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:30 am 

Thank You all for your imput. I will definitely try out fo some your import and see if my mom will help me do it. I know she will. Once again Thank You!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:47 pm 

I started dance at age 12, and that's not too far off from where you're at. As a male dancer, you would have a financial advantage where scholarships are concerned. I wouldn't worry about the $$ if I were you. Male dancers are in demand, and if you want to learn, you will find someone more than willing to work with you!<BR>I wish you all the best!<P>Dulcinea

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 8:06 pm 

Hey all!! Sowwy it has took me so long to send another message, but I am sad to say that my mom said I could not do dance. She said I had to many other preoccupations to worry about (which I strongly disagree with). Plus she says that ballet would critically deminish my performance in track (which I also disagree with!). Could any of yall help me in my defense?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:58 am 

This is sad, DanceHopeful, I 'm sorry that your mum feels this way but if you really want to have dance lessons, I think you should explain to her how you feel and make her understand how important it is for you. And, I 'm no expert, but I don't think that dancing would diminish you in track! In fact, I think it would be good for you. Do you train seriously in track?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 5:30 am 

Have you seen Billy Elliot? Maybe you and your Mom could watch it together. Dance is a very good basis for all athletics, it builds strength and endurance. Keep trying!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]