public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Training and Flexibility
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:28 am 

Hi,
This September I'm going into full time contemporary dance training on a three year course and i would like to know how much flexibility has the chance to improve? I am fairly flexible already and am 18 years of age. But would especially like to improve the strength of the flexibilty of my hip socket. I will be doing a ballet and contemporary technique class every day as well as body conditioning, pilates e.t.c I know that facts differ for the individual but on average if anybody knows to what degree flexibility usually improves on this type of course that would be very helpful.

Thanks x

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Training and Flexibility
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:28 pm 

I trained at an intense conservatory and while I was there I noticed that I tighted a little bit from the constant training and building more muscles. I had to stretch alot just to keep everything where it was when I got there.
~K~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Training and Flexibility
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:03 am 

I have always been very flexable, and my splits were all self taught. But there was one kind of flexibility I didn't know about - lower back and hip flexibility. I was so weak there and unflexible that when I took my first ballet lessons (age 19) I would actually hurt my back. Now, you rarely see a person more flexible than me in most classes. Conclusion, you can improve a lot. And I have seen 23 year olds pick up ballet for the first time and be able to do splits within 2 years. You are taking contemporary dance? In contemporary dance they often teach techniques for getting good flexibility that are often ignored in ballet classes. Two good techniques that I know of:
1. Negotiating with your body. You basically have a loving conversation with your body where you tell it it can do much better than what it is doing and you are going to help it painlessly and effortlessly get there "come on, leg, now you feel a little more comfortable so maybe we can open just a little bit more..."
2. Continue the dance. When you can't strech any more, you do as if "the movement is still continuing" even if it isn't. You can do "double direction" the toes and fingers try to touch the wall in front, with you botom, try to touch the wall in back... This also builds strength and a better understanding of double direction.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]