public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leotard Training?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:11 am 

My friend started ballet, a 'late starter' at 13. She is very good but is not used to wearing leotards. She doesn't like the idea of having to wear one, and this is affecting her general confidence. Her mum suggested that she should wear a leotard at home, to get used to it - so she now has to wear a leotard every night after school and at weekends. I'm not sure if it'll work. What are your views on this as a solution? Do you have any other advice for a leotard-shy ?

Post subject: Re: Leotard Training?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:49 am 

Hi Liv! I'm moving your post to our "Students' Questions and Experiences" forum, where I think you have a better chance of a response. Look to the left above this post for the new link.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Leotard Training?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:04 pm 

I'm not sure what your friend's issue is exactly with leotards. Is she self-conscious about her body? Or is she just not comfortable (physically) wearing them? If it is the latter, her mom's suggestion of wearing them around the house is a good one. And even if she is self-conscious about her body in one, it might be a good idea to do that just to get used to the idea of a leotard on her body.

For self-consciousness--Another idea is to get more coverage. She can get leotards with longer sleeves and cover with a skirt as well. But don't get a skirt that goes past mid-thigh, b/c your body is still meant to be seen and CORRECTED by the teacher.

Or she could ask her teacher if she can wear a more form fitting t-shirt and athletic pants--like yoga pants--to wear instead. A teacher would probably allow it.

Hope this helps a little.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]